NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Edjamakated

Why Zelda Wii will probably be the best game ever.

This is still something I don't understand.

Why do you want hylian technology to be more advanced? The zelda series already has cannons, bombs, magnetic gloves, photographic cameras, crazy spinners, etc. None of that stuff fits in a medieval setting, yet Zelda makes it work. Hell, they could add lightsabers and make them fit (although it would be pointless).

So why would a more technologically advanced Zelda be any different?

To make it feel like Hyrule moves on. How many thousand years can the same architecture be appreciated? Is Hyrule some sort of medeival-ish dictatorship where the royal family and church does everything to stop the Hylian people from getting better standards of life?

Imagine if a new age begins. Where the Monarchy is being questioned, and the Gerudos are threatening to conquer Hyrule. Soldiers are wearing the armour of old, but are getting "modern" firearms. Where Ganon uses lots of Gerudos with guns, and magic beings like Stalfos and dragons to take over the world, Hyrule instead tries to defend itself with aircraft. Hyrule castle town has just received its first "skyscraper", and while there's some extent of electricity, Kakariko and other towns farther away still live in the ways of old, rarelly coming in contact with the new technologies.

To make it feel like Hyrule moves on. How many thousand years can the same architecture be appreciated? Is Hyrule some sort of medeival-ish dictatorship where the royal family and church does everything to stop the Hylian people from getting better standards of life?

Imagine if a new age begins. Where the Monarchy is being questioned, and the Gerudos are threatening to conquer Hyrule. Soldiers are wearing the armour of old, but are getting "modern" firearms. Where Ganon uses lots of Gerudos with guns, and magic beings like Stalfos and dragons to take over the world, Hyrule instead tries to defend itself with aircraft. Hyrule castle town has just received its first "skyscraper", and while there's some extent of electricity, Kakariko and other towns farther away still live in the ways of old, rarelly coming in contact with the new technologies.

No thanks. There's a line that doesn't need to be crossed.

I really don't want a modern zelda. Zelda is cool because you have link and he fights with a sword and goes around medieval landscape, thats my favourite part. If u want a futuristic game then play metroid prime or something.

The setting doesn't need to make sense. It's a world where magic exists, and Ganondorf tries to conquer the world using a golden triangle, after all.

...You'd like a game where an elf dressed in green fights people with guns, using a mere sword? Seriously?

This thread has some epic fanfic in it :) It reads like a book. We've even got masses of pictures comparing the cel shading against TP and back again. Lovely.

zelda1.pngzeldac1.png

Hmmm. Number 2 for me. Cel shading seems to appear timeless.

Not sure what I like better. The landscape seems more barren in the cel shaded one.

This thread has some epic fanfic in it :) It reads like a book. We've even got masses of pictures comparing the cel shading against TP and back again. Lovely.

zelda1.pngzeldac1.png

Hmmm. Number 2 for me. Cel shading seems to appear timeless.

Wow. Cel-shading scenery does look a bit better (except for the plain, texture-less green in the fields. It's not impossible to make it different, though. WW's sea wasn't plain blue)

EDIT: What Emasher said, basically

carlaugh.jpg

Hahahah...you're too cruel hellboy.

I try hard, it's good to see someone recognizes it :P

Would anyone care for a true night-day system? Like when you start play at 10pm, the world - not just Hyrule field - is night. Perhaps making it a harder game due to extra enemies.

Would anyone care for a true night-day system? Like when you start play at 10pm, the world - not just Hyrule field - is night. Perhaps making it a harder game due to extra enemies.

No...it would then be animal crossing :p

+ I'd never see the sunrise...which is just beautiful in OoT.

No...it would then be animal crossing :p

+ I'd never see the sunrise...which is just beautiful in OoT.

Then you'd have to WORK to see the sunrise! (set your alarm) :heh:

I'm not sure I agree with this, because neither did a good job of this.

The only reason it was a massive landscape was because 90% of it was water.

The only reason there was so much to do was because you couldn't do it anywhere else... with the 90% water and all.

I think I might have to play Wind Waker again so I can get fresh stuff to whine about :D

Well in TP there was pretty much NOTHING to do outside the mainquest and there was no '90% water' there was there :heh:

I dunno, there's something about wandering around on windfall (or even outset) listening to that catchy music, talking to the characters, looking at the fantastic view..its actually beautiful. I dunno, playing TP I never once just sat back in awe at what i was looking at apart from the first time I crossed the Lake Hylia bridge, and even then you visit lake Hylia for the first time as a wolf so it kinda lost it's magic (same for Hyrule Field actually).

You know what I wanna see from the next Zelda? More Ganon. Seriously, the cut scene after you complete Abitar's Grounds is absolutely brilliant; i wonder why they didn't show more of him after that. What I would also love would be a segment where you briefly play as ganon to see his story unfold. Ganon has always been the badass of the games but I think it would be brilliant to delve into his character a bit more to see just how cruel he really is.

You know what I wanna see from the next Zelda? More Ganon. Seriously, the cut scene after you complete Abitar's Grounds is absolutely brilliant; i wonder why they didn't show more of him after that. What I would also love would be a segment where you briefly play as ganon to see his story unfold. Ganon has always been the badass of the games but I think it would be brilliant to delve into his character a bit more to see just how cruel he really is.

A spinoff where you're the evil overlord? Sounds interesting, to say the least.

Just don't expect a Zelda game to let you play as anyone other than Link :heh: Not even Four Swords let you do that.

No, I really don't, that would make it kind of a hassle.

Well in TP there was pretty much NOTHING to do outside the mainquest

Lies, smokes and shadows.

The setting doesn't need to make sense. It's a world where magic exists, and Ganondorf tries to conquer the world using a golden triangle, after all.

...You'd like a game where an elf dressed in green fights people with guns, using a mere sword? Seriously?

All Hylians are elves. Link could be one of those people outside the city, who lives the old ways of life. Or he could be a junior officer, having an uniform very similar to the tunic.

Link already uses the bow. Why not simply replace the model with a bulky rifle? Link already meets enemies with bows.

As you said yourself, not everything needs to be beleivable. Imagine the Hylian sheild being bullet proof.

And of course, the "future" Hyrule needn't be at all the way I just wrote. But a technically more advanced Hyrule would be interresting.

Lies, smokes and shadows.

Well I've completed the game but came across nothing. I did catch a couple of fish though but never wanted to collect all of them, didn't really like the fishing controls tbh.

Link already uses the bow. Why not simply replace the model with a bulky rifle? Link already meets enemies with bows.

As you said yourself, not everything needs to be beleivable. Imagine the Hylian sheild being bullet proof.

The rifle is too noisy and heavy. :heh:

Not to mention, if it's going to be a Bow&Arrow clone, why include it all?

And of course, the "future" Hyrule needn't be at all the way I just wrote. But a technically more advanced Hyrule would be interresting.

I still think Zelda shouldn't deviate too much from a medieval setting, to be honest.

However, a Hyrule where things are starting to become more advanced (thanks to a new magic substance or something) could work, I suppose, if said substance becomes connected to gameplay mechanics. Even better if said substance ends up being connected to the villan.

But I'm starting to deviate into the realms of fanfiction. And any connection to Mother 3 is pure coincidence :heh:

How often do drastic changes (such as changing Zelda from a medieval setting to a drug-dealing space age with guns and gang warfare) to a franchise work? Let's cast our minds back to Bomberman: Act Zero, shall we?

I don't think it needs to be a "drug dealing space age with guns and gang warfare" to be more advanced. What if they added a railroad to hyrule, or perhaps some very simple machines. Imagine a scene where you have to chase a group of moblins down who are trying to rob the train. Twilight princess already had a lot of wild west themed stuff in it, and that felt very zelda. Why not take that a step further? I don't mean have the whole game have a wild west setting but perhaps just try a bit more of it. I'd also like to see some sort of combat between Ganon's army and the hyrule army, it just seems like the hyrule soldiers are all a bunch of lazy c***s who just sit there and occasionally throw you out of the castle. I know link's supposed to be a lone hero, but its like hyrule never really tries.

I love Zelda as it is. I will play the same old Zeldas till I die, and I won't get bored. A few grahpical licks, and some minor formula tweaks is all I would want with the next Zelda. If they concentrate on what makes Zelda so special: the nuances, the exploration, the level design, the vibrancy of character, and the music; they can't go wrong in my opinion. I just think they need to take some more risks with the story and take it off into an inspired new direction.

How often do drastic changes (such as changing Zelda from a medieval setting to a drug-dealing space age with guns and gang warfare) to a franchise work? Let's cast our minds back to Bomberman: Act Zero, shall we?

Let's look at OOT, Metroid Prime, Super Mario Galaxy and Mario 64 too, please.

When its Nintendo, they can do everything, they could make Mario a gangster and it would still rule as much as the others did

When its Nintendo, they can do everything, they could make Mario a gangster and it would still rule as much as the others did

I do see where you're coming from, but some of these are due to the technical advancements at the time. OOT is similar to a lot of elements from A Link To The Past, but it made the jump into 3D. Although, there are a lot of new additions, such as the cinematic cutscenes, etc.

Mario 64, again; is down to the changes of technology. The cart space and capabilities of that time allowed for things that couldn't be done before. The Castle acted as a hub for the overworld, and the levels were a lot more spacious, and less linear than the 2D counterparts.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that these games (bar maybe Galaxy) were part of a complete Revolution. Shifting 2D to 3D. I guess it depends on your viewpoint, but I think its a lot harder for Nintendo to emulate changes like that now, than it was 10 years ago. It really does depend on where Nintendo, or gaming for that matter, can go in the future. For me, that's something that is very undecided.

None of those involved completely flipping the storyline and classical elements of the series, using nothing but shallow fanfic.

Those didn't involve any such story change at all, they were gameplay revolutions, mate.

Sign in to follow this