N-Europe

Artistic value: objective or subjective

Oxigen_Waste

Didn't read the thread, too big, but seeing the word quality next to artistic makes no sense to me. I mean, if you see a painting for example that's very well drawn and painted you can and should obviously say it has quality, even if you don't like it but you can see a painting that's not that well drawn and like it. Now, you might say this is just the enjoyment you draw from it and that's the subjective part, but the quality the artist is going for might be something that not everyone will agree to, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have any. It's a complicated debate and it'll never end, but if people enjoy something there is some quality in it for someone, thus everything about it is subjective. You can certainly say I like this, but it's a bad movie, but talk about artistic value or quality? Doesn't make sense to me.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

*wades in*

Opinions are all entirely personal. Facts apply to the scientific method, and conclusions draw from it. If you include opinions on the scientific method, it's no longer scientific, and therefore no universal facts can be drawn.

Also, if I think a film is good if it had good, long stationary shots, like, say, Pulp Fiction, and a friend thinks that a film is good if it has a shots that change a lot, like, say, Star Wars, then in my mind, Pulp Fiction is better, but in my friend's mind, Star Wars is.

Of course, it's more complex than that, but I hope you can see the extent to which particulars of art is factual is entirely personal.

Nicely said, fish. When you post you don't hussle through the thesaurus to make your self look smart. Your posts are easy to read and understand, unlike some people who try use complex sentence structures and unneeded words.

In the end its all oppinion, and as i said.. mass oppinion is NOT FACT.