NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Shift

I need a new digital camera

Im going on holiday pretty soon (a few months) and im in the market for a new digital camera, something pocketable.

Im not too bothered about camera features, id like it to have a wide angle lense if possible, but i wouldnt be too bothered if the camera didnt have one.

The ones ive been looking at so far are:

Samsung NV24 HD

Panasonic FX500

Canon IXUS 970 IS

I just cant make my mind up on which one to get (or if any of the above are even good), as i know very little about cameras.

If anyone can recommend a better digital camera please feel free to do so.

Thanks

My mum has a Samsung camera and its awful! I'm more of a Fujifilm person myself, although both Panasonic and Canon produce very good cameras.

The samsung's a good camera. Daft has it, or a similar model i believe and it took some awesome pictures.

Might I suggest dpreview. It's a great review site for cameras.

Of the reviews I've read for other cameras they always have sample shots aswell.

Pyxis, do you plan to take good quality pictures at night? The ISO is light sensitivity, the higher the number the more sensitive it is to light. I havnt read the review for that Fuji camera, but if the only downside is the ISO then it sounds like a good camera, if you plan to take photos in the sunlight.

And anything over 4 megapixel (I think it's 4 it might be 6) is just getting to higher resolutions which doesn't affect the quality of the picture in the end. So don't look at the megapixel count. It's just people think higher numbers = better pictures. It isn't, it's how you use the camera.

Ive read reviews of all three cameras from loads of sites now (even the ones youve told me about).

They all recommed different cameras, so i was still none the wiser at the end of reading the reviews.

On the cameras.co.uk, i cant help but feel the reviewer is bias towards canon cameras, im sure canon cameras are very good, but he gives them the highest scores even though they dont take widescreen images or have good video features.

At the moment i think its between the samsung nv24 and panasonic fx500, the samsung camera is £50 cheaper and has a wider angle lens. But from some reviews ive read it seems that both suffer from noise?

Sign in to follow this