N-Europe

PC to HDTV

Sheikah

I'm sure I've asked this before somewhere, but I have this graphics card (pretty sure it's precisely the same) in my computer:

link.

It mentions HDTV-Out, so I'm not sure if that makes things any better for me (e.g. the possibility to output in exactly the same resolution as my HDTV). Would I need a DVI -> HDMI cable? I have a wireless keyboard and mouse so the idea of lounging back while on the PC is quite tempting.

Cheers!

Well as usual with ebay you're ok if you stick with people that have good feedback. Haven't got it yet, mind, we'll see :) I needed 3m because I'm running it behind my bookcase and desk and I thought £5 was a really good price (especially since before I thought of that, I considered some sort of network media device that would've been at least 50 :blank:)

I found a DVI -> HDMI cable on ebuyer in the end, a 3m one in case anyone is interested: link.

I tried linking my regular DVI cable to the DVI port on the TV and it seemed to display a picture out of resolution with the TV. I then used the nVidia control panel to output in specific HDTV resolutions (my card can do that) and then the screen just stayed blank. Hopefully this cable should sort out this problem (it was an old type of DVI cable).

I found a DVI -> HDMI cable on ebuyer in the end, a 3m one in case anyone is interested: link.

I tried linking my regular DVI cable to the DVI port on the TV and it seemed to display a picture out of resolution with the TV. I then used the nVidia control panel to output in specific HDTV resolutions (my card can do that) and then the screen just stayed blank. Hopefully this cable should sort out this problem (it was an old type of DVI cable).

What TV is it?

Sounds like it's probably the TV's fault, it's overscanning the picture in the first instance and the second one is likely down to the TV not supporting HDTV resolutions through that port.

The 3030 doesn't have a DVI port AFAIK, i can check if you like but i'm 99% sure it doesn't. Are you sure you're not hooking it up to the VGA port?

Well the cable used to connect my old monitor to my PC plugs into a slot on the TV which is labelled "RGB/PC", and the TV had a PC channel which allowed me to view my desktop on a dual screen display. It might not have been DVI then, although I'm not sure of the difference.

Edit: haha yes, it is a VGA. The cable looks like this, which is what I found when I googled VGA cable. So since my TV has HDMI ports do you rekcon I can use my DVI -> HDMI lead? (Searching DVI cable comes up with the same cable used to connect my current monitor to my computer).

It's an odd problem on this TV, apparently it can map 1:1 over VGA but loads of people have had problems with it. I suggest asking for some help in this thread here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=485190

A DVI-HDMI cable probably won't solve your problems, i had a look through that thread and the general consensus is that the TV does not map 1:1 through HDMI :hmm:

I got my DVI-HDMI cable today and it works great. I hooked it up to a 22" HDTV and using ultramon it works great through 1024x768 resolution (haven't tried higher). Only problem is I forgot that I also need to buy an audio cable to get the sound through the TV's speakers.

Edit: bought a 3.5mm splitter and male to male cable on ebay for £1-2 each :)

2nd edit: didn't do this. actually it occured to me that with the audio on a seperate channel (PC rather than HDMI) I wouldnt get any audio :heh: will have to use the PC speakers then I guess.

Slapped my lead in that I just got and it's all going good. :D

It seems to work best when I do a dual setup with different resolutions where both monitors are on, and the TV is used as a sort of secondary desktop extension on 760p. Browsing the net, video and games all look great. :D