N-Europe

Call of Duty: World At War

Ashley

My biggest problem with this is the ludicrous single player missions, the grenade indicator is soooo easy to miss you'll die many many times and it'll end up getting very frustrating. I would love to see someone clocking this game on the hardest difficulty - I found it literally impossible and not down to me just being rubbish, but down to the game being too frustrating and hard on higher settings.

Please don't take this criticsm and think I'm a piss poor gamer, I have 3 stars and 9999 on Mario Kart, completed everything on 007 on Quantum of Solace, all 120 stars on Mario Galaxy, have all S ranks on Battalion Wars (bar the last mission) and usually clock everything on highest difficulty - but this is just too much.

Look forward to the review soon ;)

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My biggest problem with this is the ludicrous single player missions, the grenade indicator is soooo easy to miss you'll die many many times and it'll end up getting very frustrating. I would love to see someone clocking this game on the hardest difficulty - I found it literally impossible and not down to me just being rubbish, but down to the game being too frustrating and hard on higher settings.

Please don't take this criticsm and think I'm a piss poor gamer, I have 3 stars and 9999 on Mario Kart, completed everything on 007 on Quantum of Solace, all 120 stars on Mario Galaxy, have all S ranks on Battalion Wars (bar the last mission) and usually clock everything on highest difficulty - but this is just too much.

I'll give you the grenade indicator; but the game isn't difficult at all. What difficulty did you go on? My friend who can't finish any game finished this!! :)

And being good at those games doesn't mean anything. I'm good at badminton, doesn't mean I can play rugby

I have 3 stars and 9999 on Mario Kart

PM's everyone so they don't tell him about our Mario Kart tournament....

Look forward to the review soon ;)

Did you read my Quantum one? I only tend to write a review once I've completed it, but according to Dazzybee it's the easiest game ever! Thus I must be just terrible at this game, which is odd as I usually nail FPS games, I was the kid everyone took their Goldeneye cart to to unlock everything!

Maybe I'm just slipping in my old age!

My Call of Duty: World at War Review

We've been fighting World War II for a long time... a very long time. In fact I first started fighting World War II as William 'B.J.' Blazkowicz back on the SNES in the port of Wolfenstein 3D. In fact that was the first FPS I played and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but things have moved on. Fourteen years have passed since I first entered castle Wolfenstein, and since then we've seen dozens, if not more, FPSs set in WWII.

So here comes the holiday season and what have we got, well the latest installment of Call of Duty franchise. After the series departed the well trodden battlefields of WWII to bring us Modern Warfare, developers Treyarch have decided to go back to WWII again. This time they claim to offer a different perspective - and to a degree they have. We find the games missions split between the American/Japanese conflict of the Pacific and the Russian/German conflict of the Eastern Front.

This at first may seem like an odd decision, instead of one fluid campaign you're changing between two at regular intervals. Well I can assure you it works - and is presented very well, in fact this is one of the best presented games I have played and definitely the most gritty and well put together WWII game to date. The game is certainly aimed at the mature audience – it’s brutal. You’ll see acts of torture, a total lack of compassion from the Russian forces and you’ll really feel like you’re up to your knees in a hellish conflict.

Treyarch have also put together beautiful stills, wonderful and fluid artistic intros and mixed both with real WWII video footage. Overall the package is AAA and you can see a lot of effort has been put into it with more then enough attention to detail throughout. The production values weren't just spent on a flashy intro and outro - but hold up through the entire game giving a gritty and cinematic feel between levels.

The high production values don't end with the pre and post level cinematic sequences - the graphics are excellent. Make no mistake this is one good looking game. The detail is superb, there is plenty going on and it will make you wish all developers put this much effort into their Wii games. The frame rate is solid and things move along nicely even when you're in the middle of an epic battle. The level of detail on the combatants is high, as is the level of the detail on the surroundings.

What really makes this game stand out is the great particle and smoke effects. In some levels you’ll see burning embers floating by and smoke from grenades and dynamic lighting all play their part in making this an immersive experience. When air strikes hit and when things go bang you’ll know about it, the flamethrower also looks great. If you know any Wii doubters, get them to play this and if they don’t change their mind they’re either mad or blind!

But what is a pretty game without good fluid game play? Well you needn’t worry about that either – this plays well, very well. Again the Wii delivers a premier FPS control scheme which is fast, fluid and as close to point and click accuracy as you’ll ever get on a home console. The controls are great, and there is a high level of customization where you can alter the look speed, the turning speed and the size of the bounding box.

The one thing you can’t do is button map – there are several control set ups but you can’t completely customize which button does what. I don’t think this hurts the experience at all, but I’m sure some will grumble. One thing that won’t raise grumbles is the option to turn off gesture controls – so if you want to flail your arms around to throw a grenade you can, but if you want to tap a button to do it that’s cool as well. Finally a developer has understood that a different waggle for every gesture possible might not appeal to us all – full marks for Treyarch on that one.

The missions themselves are quite varied, some have you fighting in large open battles in fields, some have you crawling through trench systems burning out ‘Tojo’ and others have you fighting house to house in a burnt out Berlin. You’ll find yourself using multiple weapons which all handle very differently, although I would have liked them to have felt a bit meatier, I found some of the large heavier weapons to feel slightly feathery. You also have access to grenades – and this is one of the games biggest problems.

Now throwing grenades is great, on the control scheme I use it is plus or minus depending on which type of grenade you’re throwing. However having grenades thrown at you is one of the most irritating things to ever happen in a game – a ‘grenade indicator’ will pop up on screen and you can either choose to run or to throw the grenade back. Now that’s fine, but firstly the grenade indicator is not very clear at all and secondly you have very little time to throw them back. This all leads to many unnecessary deaths which can be very frustrating and really breaks up the fluidity of the missions. I thought I’d get used it in time, but by the last few missions I was still missing it and it was still irritating the hell out of me.

The game offers quite a challenge, with 15 missions in the campaign mode. Each mission plays differently and you can attempt them on one of four different difficulty settings. I found the game fun and challenging on lower difficulty settings, but irritating and too difficult on the hardest where you would simply find yourself being torn to shreds as soon as you left cover. Overall though you’ll have a fun time on campaign mode and it will keep you busy for a while depending on which level you play it on.

Once you’ve finished campaign mode you’ll find yourself with a LOT left to do. The multiplayer mode is HUGE and in many ways far more comprehensive than anything seen before on the Wii – however this too is sadly not without its faults. The game has two core modes, Free For All (a basic 8 player death match) and Team Death Match (a four on four mode). It also has a Boot Camp, which is Team Death Match for players ranked level 7 and under, a Hardcore Team Death Match (which is a team game with reduced HUD display and is unlocked at level 18) and a prestige mode which I haven’t unlocked yet.

Now all that’s pretty self explanatory – but what are these levels? Well when you kill someone you gain experience points which level up your profile. As your level rises you gain access to new weapons, new add-ons (silencers, sights, double magazines) for your weapons and perks. Perks are basically skills which you unlock, they range from added health and speedier running to increased accuracy and bullets that shoot through cover. During the matches themselves you are also given in game perks (a spy plane which allows you to see your enemies position, artillery barrages and attack dogs) for having long killing sprees – another great touch. This makes playing multiplayer far more compelling and not just about racking up endless kills.

The other great thing with the unlockable weapons is the challenges that you can complete with each gun. These will gain you valuable experience points and really test your skills with each weapon. There are quite a few maps and all of them seem to provide different ways to play, from the long ranged battles of Cliffside to the room clearances of Upheaval, which again extends the appeal of this title. The game is as laggy as your connection. It’s quite helpful then that when you tap ‘2’ it brings up a screen with your score and your connection strength. Playing with a full four bars is perfect, with three is great, with two it’s OK but with one it’s pointless. I’ve played on four bars, and it provides a great experience and one that won’t disappoint.

The main fault in the online mode is the lack of capture the flag, I spent hours on Medal of Honor Heroes 2 in that mode on the Village map, it was superb. The lack of this basic and very compelling mode is quite irritating, as is the lack of customization of your characters appearance. Unlike in MOHH2 you don’t pick your character or choose the team you play on, instead you are dumped into a random skin on a random team on a random map. It would have been nice to choose your character’s appearance in the customization section, again not a deal breaker but a definite niggle.

So whilst the online is probably the best on the Wii for the leveling up and sheer number of customizable weapons and perks as well as great online leader boards and rankings, it lets itself down by dropping important modes. Also whilst the eight player match limit is not an issue at all, and you’re never left feeling alone (as nearly every match I’ve been in has had 8 players and you can always find a match) it’s odd that the limit is just eight when MOHH2 had 32 and that came out ages ago. Also, it has to be said that although the frame rate in COD:WAW is good, it’s not as high as the frame rate in MOHH2.

So all in all, which game holds the crown for the best online Wii FPS? Honestly, if you’re an FPS fan get both. They both are great and both have different strengths and weaknesses. But one thing is for sure, COD:WAW won’t disappoint you.

Final Comment

This game is great, it’s got wonderful graphics, tight and customizable controls and is fast and fluid. It has a great cinematic single player game which is unrivalled among Wii FPS games for its presentation and gritty game play where you really feel like you’re in the middle of a war. The online modes are fun and play very well, they also offer the incentives to carry on playing and to develop your character and unlock new challenges and new weapons and perks. I must commend Treyarch for putting this much effort into a Wii title and showing just what can be done and that a Wii game can turn heads with its graphical presentation. If you’re a core gamer and an FPS fan you won’t want to miss COD:WAW this Christmas and thanks to it’s comprehensive online modes you’ll be playing it well into the new year. The only thing is, some of us will be left asking the question: Why, after going so far bringing us a great online system, did Treyarch leave out some simple yet important modes that we’ve all been enjoying in MOHH2 for well over a year now and with over 30 other people? Oh and one other thing, can we put WWII to bed now and move on?

Overall: 8.6 out of 10

• 3 weeks later...

I picked this up a couple of days ago, I have it on the PS3 and really enjoy it. So thought I would see what it is like with the Wii controls. I honestly thought this would be great with the WiiMote/Nunchuck combo.......its not. I don't like it. I cannot get anywhere near the same amount of control as I can on the sixxaxis. Not just the turning speed, but the way you have to move your hand down the Wii remote to get to the D pad, its clumsy. Its ok in single player, because the AI is shit. But multiplayer is when it really gets on my tits. Oh well, just to cheer me up, I bought World of Goo. Now that is a fantastic game.

So thought I would see what it is like with the Wii controls. I honestly thought this would be great with the WiiMote/Nunchuck combo.......its not. I don't like it. I cannot get anywhere near the same amount of control as I can on the sixxaxis. Not just the turning speed, but the way you have to move your hand down the Wii remote to get to the D pad, its clumsy. Its ok in single player, because the AI is shit. But multiplayer is when it really gets on my tits.

Well, I honestly think the guys you're playing against on multiplayer are using a wiimote too. It's not like they're using a sixaxis against your wiimote, is it? So if you're getting owned, they can use it and you can't, at least for now. ;)

Well, I honestly think the guys you're playing against on multiplayer are using a wiimote too. It's not like they're using a sixaxis against your wiimote, is it? So if you're getting owned, they can use it and you can't, at least for now. ;)

I'm not getting owned :heh: I am as good as anybody I have met online so far. I suppose I was saying (in a roundabout sort of way) that I prefer the dual analogue sticks to the WiiMote in this game.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not getting owned :heh: I am as good as anybody I have met online so far. I suppose I was saying (in a roundabout sort of way) that I prefer the dual analogue sticks to the WiiMote in this game.

Come play me! I'll own you :) Plus the wii-mote is ten times more accurate and speedy than dual analog. Since playing Wii FPS games I simply don;t have as much fun with dual analog as it's so imprecise.

Come play me! I'll own you :) Plus the wii-mote is ten times more accurate and speedy than dual analog. Since playing Wii FPS games I simply don;t have as much fun with dual analog as it's so imprecise.

You probably would own me, the same as I would own you on the PS3/360 version. Most Wii FPS games are more accurate and speedy with a Wiimote compared to dual analogue. But not this game. I am much more precise with the sixaxis than a Wiimote in WaW. Whether that is just me or not i do not know. Its still a fantastic game, we should get a game together with a few others. Its just a shame there is no Search & Destroy, because that is the best game mode ever.

I'll be up for a game. Although I like the controls, it isn't as good as MoH or MP3; I still like them though.

MAT, where do you work in Donny?

I actually work on the west coast of Scotland mate, and travel home on weekends/leave. Why do you ask?

You probably would own me, the same as I would own you on the PS3/360 version. Most Wii FPS games are more accurate and speedy with a Wiimote compared to dual analogue. But not this game. I am much more precise with the sixaxis than a Wiimote in WaW. Whether that is just me or not i do not know. Its still a fantastic game, we should get a game together with a few others. Its just a shame there is no Search & Destroy, because that is the best game mode ever.

Ok sounds good, next N-E tournament on COD I'll get on and hopefully we'll have some fun!

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...