N-Europe

PC in Crisis

nekunando

I'm sure maybe some of you remember a month or so ago I was having a lot of trouble with my computer and reset it to factory settings and spent a long time trying to get it towards useable condition! If anything it was going much better than before.. until today :(

I was using it this morning before work and it was fine.. but my dad tried to go onto it this afternoon but straight away it was in a continuous loop of starting.. not getting anywhere.. and starting all over again.. I have it on at the moment while I use my brother's laptop to post this!

The scenario is as follows:

- Packard Bell Screen (with options for ESC (Switch Screen) F2 (BIOS) and F8 (Boot Device)

- Boot from CD:_

- Setup is inspecting you computer's hardware configuration...

- Windows PE Process (with loading bar.. and options which flash up for a second of Press F6 if you need to install a third party something..

- Windows XP loading screen

- Windows Burnin - Please Wait - Working.. The System Will Shut Down Automatically (However, in the window behind that it says Select X:\minint\system32\cmd.exe at the top of the window followed by:

New Settings:

Write Cache is enabled

Power Protect is disabled

At this point it just restarts and goes through everything again..

Can anyone help me get this thing back working again?

hmm simple test, try it without the cd interested in the machine. it sounds like it wants to factory rest the machine.

if that doesn't work as intended, it looks you like you'll have to factory reset as per norm. so f8 when prompted (as you mentioned) and select the cd/dvd drive as the first boot.

with ya packard bell disc in the machine, it should go about its business with only you to press a few keys here and there.

just be warned if you have to the latter, any lost data after this is out of "public" arms reach.

..interestingly, when I checked a few hours ago there was a blank DVD in the drive but I have since removed it but everything still goes the same.. I would prefer not to go back to factory settings if at all possible..

I hate this :(

I was mucking about with the BIOS last night (including what you just mentioned..) and I couldn't get anywhere.. I decided to just go for it again and wipe the slate clean.. and I am now back on track (now with AVG installed for a bit more security!)

I hope it doesn't mess up again..! Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions : peace: