NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Kirkatronics

Reviews

Have any of you ever written a review?

If so post it here.

Also does anyone know of a reviewer similer to ZP?

Review for what? There's rating threads for movies, books, tv shows... even meals. *shakes head at thread*

the only review i've ever written was for chocolate and strawberry body pens from play.com.... :grin:

yeeeah what IS this thread for...?

I wrote an Advance Wars: Dark Conflict one and sent it into Gamecentral (teletext), knowing of course that it will never get published considering the guys are Advance Wars whores. Excuse the unusual layout - I tried to make it as convineint as possible to stick on a teletext page.

Although western games have been enjoying portable warfare for the best part of this millennium, for the Japanese, this beloved series harks back to Famicom Wars in 1988.

With this, Intelligent Systems have seen fit to give the cutesy war-sim something of an overhaul.

Well, the term “overhaul†may be a slight exaggeration, especially once you look past the art style.

Any existing fans will be instantly familiar with the premise of building, moving and attacking miniature soldiers and war-machines.

Indeed, the control method is virtually ripped straight and cleanly from Dual Strike, with everything stylus-compatible.

Most things are intact then, that is until you notice some bizarre absences from the usually present and A grade pupils.

The most obvious removal is the ability the select you own CO in Campaign Mode, rendering any skills they may have almost obsolete.

Gone too is the shop which did allow a player to spend hard-earned points on new Maps and Cos for use in Battle mode.

Thankfully, the Design tool is still in action, supported by a healthy range of customizable options and backed up by a strong online system.

Most intriguingly, the graphics of Dark Conflict have taken a drastic turn from past iterations, now boasting a darker, grittier look.

It all ties in with the new storyline, which tells of catastrophic disasters, betrayal and flowery diseases.

Whether you think the change in attitude is necessary or not, it is still hard not to be impressed with the hand-drawn battle animations.

Unfortunately, the fresh visuals are unable to marry a wealth of brand new ideas, with very few new additions actually being added.

Apart from Motorbikes and Anti-tanks, there is little to make you dismiss the prospect that the developers weren’t scraping the barrel after the last game.

Flame Trucks seem pointless and one wonders why they couldn’t consolidate “fighter†and “interceptor†into one, sensible aero-package.

You may then be wondering why you should buy Dark Conflict if there isn’t much to it than a fancy lick of paint.

You would be foolish to hesitate however, as this remains the defining strategy game on the market with tonnes of depth still available.

Plus, it is Advance Wars, which makes it the single factor in you losing your social life for the rest of 2008.

Summary: The best strategy game returns sporting a new dress and slimming programme.

Pros: Most addictive handheld game next to Tetris. Deliciously, dark visuals and a strong online mode.

Cons: Some modes bizarrely missing in action. Not exactly sizzling with new ideas.

Score: 8/10 Out: Now (UK)

I did a few reviews for a couple of anime series and a videogame on another forum.

I think this thread is a little pointless, what with there being a multitude of threads for reviews of specific things, and also because reviews are often too lengthy for a post, so I'm going to lock it.

In answer to your second question: If by ZP you mean Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw, then you aren't going to get any better than his own reviews.

Sign in to follow this