NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Shift

Portable WiFi Device?

Another question to the current ipod touch owners, ive been reading up on the touch and keep coming across the term "jailbreak" which ive since found out lets you run 3rd party apps on the ipod touch.

Is this reccomended and easy to do (and legal)?

Or does the recent update make it so that these 3rd party apps work anyway?

I was reading up on it in college. From what I read it was easy to do also you can undo it aswell if there's ever something wrong with it. There's someone in my college who has done it to his ipod but I havn't seen what he's got on it.

Well if i need to jailbreak it to run monkey island itll be totaly worth it :D

Jailbreaking isn't dangerous to the ipod, but it can make it unstable. If it goes wrong you can always revert it to the standard firmware so there's zero risk involved.

As for legal? Yes, it is. It's just not legal to steal copywrited material and port it to iPhone/iPod Touch. Most Jailbreaking sites are very vocal about what is and isn't legal because if they contained illegal content they would be shut down.

Ooh! Me want :yay:

Another question to the current ipod touch owners, ive been reading up on the touch and keep coming across the term "jailbreak" which ive since found out lets you run 3rd party apps on the ipod touch.

Is this reccomended and easy to do (and legal)?

Or does the recent update make it so that these 3rd party apps work anyway?

It is extremely easy to do takes literally 1 min and 1 button press. It isnt legal or illegal atm there is no way for apple to tell the difference bar stealing your mp3 player to see if anything is done. Frankly I would be more worried for the massive amount of people which dont have legit mp3s over jailbreaking.

Unlike say wii hacking, ipod touch hacking is more open and freely discussed in comparision.

The latest updates will run all the 3rd party stuff.

Quick note: Installing the 2.0 firmware is illegal unless you own the SDK.

It's OK to jailbreak the iPod, but using Jailbreak to install Firmware 2.0 or the January App Pack is illegal because Apple charge for both of them.

I better go try and find my curse of monkey island disc then :D

I'll be buying me a 16GB iPod Touch in the next week or so. Unless someone else posts now with a really better alternative to the ipod touch. ;)

I find it amazing how much this piece of hardware can do.

Amazing, not? And it looks good.

BAM! Two flies, one slap.

Sign in to follow this