NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Caris

Help me choose a Graphics Card.

Again...

But anyways, i'm on a really tight budget but more so than that is the power consumption.

I'll be using a Antec EarthWatts 380W PSU. Now, i think i'm torn between the ATI 3650 and the 8600GTS. I've been looking up on them all day but can't find out a definite answer of which is faster.

The thing is even though i think the 8600GTS is faster, the 3650 I'm looking at is pre overclocked and has a duel slot cooler. While the 8600GTS has stock clock speeds and a crappy cooler. On top of that the 8600GTS says it needs a PSU of 375W but the 3650 only says 300W.

8600GTS

I really don't know what to do, could i mabey even fit a 9600GT in? they require a 400W but i don't know if i would get away with it.

Lastly with a 3650 or a 8600GTS could i run COD4 1440x900 maxed out with 4xAA on one of those? I've heard it's not demanding at all on the PC. Rest of the system would be a C2D at about 3GHZ and 2GB RAM.

Thanks.

The GeForce 8600 is really crap for its price compared to the 8800. You can get a 3650 silent edition (passively cooled) by Asus for about 50 pounds if I recall correctly.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-008-PN&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=356

Neither of those cards will get playable framerates out of CoD 4 with 4XAA, I have an 8800GT and I stick to 2XMSAA (via the Nvidia Control Panel) to keep my framerates high.

What res are you running it on?

Anyways sorry but i think this thread can be closed, i have managed to work around my budget and can get a 550W PSU so i'll get a OC'd 9600GT now.

What res are you running it on?

Anyways sorry but i think this thread can be closed, i have managed to work around my budget and can get a 550W PSU so i'll get a OC'd 9600GT now.

Well, 1680x1050, and I like my framerates really high :P

That isn't going to happen, for a start I use V-Sync, and at the most mental moments the game can be suprisingly demanding, particularly with the particle softening effects on.

I have just been reading up on the 9600GT for the past hour and all the benchmarks with everything maxed out (including 4xAA and 16xAF) @ 1680x1050 have been well above 60fps.

Dunno what they have been on about then.

Sign in to follow this