N-Europe

Vista x64 SP1 - Sleep Not Working

JMarimon

Hey guys. I recently upgraded to 6Gb of RAM, and therefor had to install Vista 64bit. I decided at the same time I'd get SP1 and kill two birds with one stone. So, I am now running Windows Vista Ultimate x64 with SP1 installed.

I previously had Windows Vista x32; and around the beggining of that install, I had some issues with sleep mode. At some point, they fixed themselves somehow.

Well, guess what? My luck, they are back and worse than ever before with this reformat. :o

I'll walk you through how sleeping goes for me:

- I hit the G6 key on my keyboard, which is assigned to render sleep mode.

- Windows does its log off thing, and then the screens, mouse, and keyboard turn off.

- At this point, the system appears as if it is still fully running.

- After about 5-10 seconds, I hear the hard drives within the system spin down.

And that is it. The system thinks it is done sleeping. Keyboard and mouse won't work, won't wake it up. Power button does nothing; and yet it sits there as if it is still fully running. I then can flip the power button on the back on and off, and Windows will "resume" and be back to where I left off.

So, basically, it doesn't seem to finish the job of sleeping. I've tried many things to try to fix this and met no success. I know this sort of thing used to be an issue back in the days that Vista was just released, but I would expect by SP1 they would have an OS that knows how to sleep.

Things to know:

- I've updated all drivers, including nVidia graphics card (174 Beta) and motherboard.

- I've tried disabling Vista's new hybrid sleep mode, same thing.

- I've tried hibernate, and it does the exact same thing.

- In the bios, ACPI Function is enabled, ACPI Standby State is S3, and Re-call VGA BIOS From S3 is Disabled. Power button set to shut down.

- Keyboard and mouse are both set to be allowed to wake it up, but they don't seem to work.

- I'm not positive that both hard drives spin down, but I know my IDE one does for sure.

- I have screensaver turned off.

Here are my power settings:

powersettings.jpg

Please, if anyone can be of any assistance, I'll be most greatful. Thank you.

Have you tried:

To resolve this issue, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, type device in the Start Search box, and then click Device

Manager in the Programs list.

2. In the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.

3. In Device Manager, expand Mice and other pointing devices.

4. Right-click the USB mouse, and then click Properties.

5. Click the Power Management tab.

6. Click to clear the Allow this device to wake the computer check box, and

then click OK.

Have you tried:

Ya, I've checked that. The issue isn't really coming out of sleep though... because it never finished going into it.

No clue. I have Vista 64 SP1 on my laptop and sleep works just fine. Were your issues with Vista 32 the same?

The issues with Vista 32 were similar, but they weren't as constant. It would be like 1/5 times this would happen. On this install, it is every time without fail.

--------------------------------

Really trying to diagnose this bitch, tried the following:

- Unplug all USB and sleep; same thing.

- Unplug internet connection and sleep; same thing.

- Sleep and then check system logs, from the time I hit the power button at 7:49:00:

7:49:07 "The Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service entered the paused state."

7:49:12 "The system is entering sleep."

751:15 The system has resumed from sleep.

Sleep Time: 3/29/2008 11:49:00 PM

Wake Time: 3/29/2008 11:51:12 PM

Wake Source: Unknown

---------------------------

Sooo, that is what is claims. I know the wakeup source is my flipping power off, than on, then pressing the power button. One thing I notice with this... is that even when power is lost, it is restoring. It is set to load data into RAM, and then shut stuff off; if power is lost, so would what's in RAM. Sooo, it is not doing what it's supposed to be doing. I also find it odd that hibernating does the exact same motions.

Hmmmmmmm. :wtf:

Have you tried non-beta nVidia drivers?

... Stupid me. :shakehead

I'll try that actually.

I just tried the following:

- install non-beta nVidia drivers; no good

- disable various system components such as the sound, dvd, usb, scanner drivers; no good

- Tried a diognostic boot which only starts one service and about 10 process, only what's needed to boot basically; no good

Sooo, I've tried sooo much. Got to be narrowing down the problem somehow. :wtf:

Well, if you can't find it, it's probably something to do with your motherboard, so I'd google for issues with your motherboard and sleep mode.

heh, beat you to that thought.

I decided that it might actually be time to upgrade the motherboard firmware. So I did this and believe it or not, all my problems melted away.

I didn't tell you guys this, but I had 2GB of RAM, and I bought 4GB to make it 6GB. The new Patriot branded 4GB actually didn't work on the motherboard. It just made it impossible to boot the system... at all; it was really weird. This motherboard update fixed that. Ironically, I found some really cheap RAM to replace that said 4GB, so I've got 4GB more on the way. 8GB FTMFW! :yay:

Anyhow, thank you all for the help, it is great to know I can come here and get help when I have trouble. You guys rock. :smile:

• 2 weeks later...