N-Europe

Bastardin' TV!

KingOfHyrule

I have a beautiful 42" rear projection TV and while most of my games play perfectly on them, be it in 50Hz, 60Hz or Progressive Scan, a handful of my games are displayed with small black bars along the left and right hand sides of the screen, worse on the left, as if the image doesn't stretch the full way. Why does this happen? Has anyone any idea??

For example, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and The Wind Waker play flawlessly, no black bars at all, yet Mario Power Tennis, Resident Evil 4 and Smash Bros play with those bars. It's so frustrating because RPTVs have the risk of burn-in if some of the screen gets more action than the rest (ie, the black bars stay stationary).

Why only some games and not others?

Guest Offerman

I think its something to do with the aspect ratio, but its commonplace with most TV's past 15". Sadly I really don't think theres much you can do.

You're not supposed to use videogames on projection TVs at all

That's only a precaution from videogame companies in case you banjax your TV. In other words, it's their way of saying "Don't say we didn't warn you."

If you're careful with your TV nothing will go wrong. I've had this TV a year and constantly game on it, no problems at all.

Guest Offerman

No the problem with any TV is screen-burn. Which is where still images burn itself into the TV. We have all heard of that, this is amplified with a rear-projection. So if you paused it and naffed orf on holiday for a week and returned with it still on pause, then you'd have a problem. But theres no reason why you can't game safely with a Rear-Projection TV.