N-Europe

Explorer Lag

Konfucius

I recently got a new PC and although I have everything up to date, Windows Explorer is laggy.

The strange things about it: it only lags when I click on "My Computer" (yes in Windows Explorer), but then it lags like hell. I can't properly click on something, it takes about 2 seconds to load and it scrolls extremely slow and resizing the window is unthinkable as well.

However as soon as I click on one drive the problem is gone and everything works perfectly well.

I think I should add that I have 3 internal Harddrives (one with 2 partitions) and one external.

Any ideas why it lags? Win XP was installed three days ago and everything else is working perfectly well.

Sounds like something in "My Computer" is unresponsive, try disabling or disconnecting the devices until you find the problem by process of elimination.

To disable: Right click hard drive, properties, hardware, choose a piece of hardware, properties, (box at the bottom) Do not use(disable)

Guest Jordan

So its just explorer? For example, can you go to control panel without any issues? If so, sounds like a HDD thing so that'll eliminate alot of possible candidates.

So its just explorer? For example, can you go to control panel without any issues? If so, sounds like a HDD thing so that'll eliminate alot of possible candidates.

Yes just explorer. More precisely when I open My Computer in Explorer.

I have an Explorer shortcut in the Quicklaunch bar that puts me directly into "My Files". No lag or problem whatsoever.

I can also expand "My Computer" by pressing "+" and then select on of the hard drives. No lag either.

The thing is I installed Vista on another drive now and the issue is exactly the same there.

Oh and thanks for all the help so far guys and girls.

Edit: Found it now, it was my DVD Burner. For some reason I could remove it with the thing in the sys-tray (don't know the english word but I think something like: securely remove hardware) to remove external drives, the DVD Burner is internal and connected via SATA though. Quite strange.

I hooked it up to a different SATA port and everything is fine now.

It seems the SATA port I connected it to was intended for eSATA or at least that's what I'd like to think because it was recognised as an external drive.

But it's working now, so everything's fine :)

Thanks for the help again.