NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
gaggle64

Windfarms and other green-energy tech

Hybrids like the Prius are terrible for the environment, much, much moreso than almost any modern diesel - the batteries are basically chemical hazards and will eventually wear out, causing a huge problem.

Also, recently I read an article showing a BMW 5-series (520d) actually getting 2 mpg better thana Toyota Prius over a 500 mile journey, including 100 mile extra in town, to favour the Prius' in town performance.

If anyone here thinks the Prius is anything other than a statement, they're an idiot, and the stupid fucking subsidies people get on cars like this, and free travel in the London Congestion Zone - well, that gets my back up like nothing else, and sends out the wrong message. Don't do what's green, do what's popular, and perceived to be green!

That aside, I think that there are some relevant things to learn out of the hybrid model, even if it's only that we should look at how trains have been running for years: serial diesel-electric powertrains, with a small diesel engine running at optimum rpm to geneate electricity for the motors, but I haven't seen one of these yet, even if it does prove to be a good idea.

Oh come one, the battery disposal arguement is rubbish. To get rid of fossil fuels we would need to start using batteries like this and there are facilities to dispose of batteries in place.

Also the comments about the Prius are coloured. Sure it isn't as good as it's all cracked up to be but I don't see many other cars using regenerative breaking, so the technology is relatively new. Nothing is perfect at this stage. Also that article is still biased. Sure they do 100miles in town but what about the other 400miles? The Prius comparatively has to lug it's battery around so it is going to be less efficient on open road driving because it won't get the opportunity to use the battery so much, let alone recharge it because very little breaking will happen. Sure, it is a car that has a specific niche in which it should be used (ie in town) but that doesn't mean its completely crap.

Sign in to follow this