N-Europe

Wii FPS

Noku

Each to there own I suppose, if you prefer controls that in my opinion are slow and clunky, that's up to you.

IMO the Wiimote is miles ahead of dual sticks, the fact of the matter I've never really been able to get on well in first person shooters on consoles until now. They've always felt too slow and cluncky, especially for multiplayer.

Oh and when it comes to realism darkjak, theres a time and a place for it in a very fast paced game like the original quake it didn't matter. And I really can't see CS being as popular as it is if it didn't bend the rules somewhat.

I've gotten use to the Pad control now and I like how (in Cod 4 for instance) you have to make slight nuances with the control stick to line up a sniper-shot. Also Pad control can be really quick if you practise or if you're palying a particulaly well-made game, e.g COD4.

I reckon I'll learn to love wii control in FPS's. Red steel was great the first time I played it - difficult at first, but then when you got the hang of it, a whole new experience.

Bring on Red Steel 2 and TS4 e.t.c There's great potential there.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Id like to see some more controller options. For instance using the C button on the nunchuk to scroll the camera in the direction you are pointing while the aim is fixed in the middle and can turn the camera but not turn the camera beyond the borders of the TV screen when not pressing the C button.

If anyone understood that there is free cookies to be had.

That's a rather good idea, actually, and I'm not just saying that for the cookies!

I still want them, though...

Hmm, a game still has to be fun. Games shouldn't be about total realism. I see what you're getting at but there needs to be a line drawn - a super-realistic FPS wouldn't be particularly fun; you need to make concessions.

In saying that the things you talk of sound quite cool. Does the motion-mapping technology complex enough to achieve it? I want to see if Star Wars: The Force Unleashed maps your lightsaber motions directly or if it's preset. I don't know much about the technology - how far can developers take the wiimote?

It is very possible to do.

To all you who seem to think I'm claiming that all FPS's should be realistic... all I'm saying is that the Wii is the ultimate console for creating a realistic FPS. I'd really like to see Rainbow Six for the Wii. I mean, a realistic game can be very fun.

Just imagine a wargame where you hear a shot, and throw yourself to the deck for real, shout through a mic for your AI comrades to do the same, search the horizon for enemies, and then with shaking hands attempt to shoot the enemies.

I prefer Wiimote above all because I think it's more fun, more immersive, and requires for skill/ realism than any other option. It's just a shame hardly anyone has picked up on this yet. Or maybe they have but think there's no audience on Wii.

I probably come from a v. different background to most on this site. I'm not a console gamer. I'm a hardcore pc gamer who likes nintendo games too. For anyone to suggest themselves as a hardcore FPS player and then go on to prefer a pad is ludicrous.

There is very little hardcore scene on the 360, most of you probably don't even know the extent of esports etc. Keyboard and mouse is the best way to play, it's not what is the most fun it's what is the most effective. When your playing a game, in a team, for hours a night, competing on online tournaments and leagues and then going to LAN competitions for real prizes what counts is what wins. I think some people need to realise this difference.

Whatever you think is most fun is personal and that's up to you to decide. But, let's not forget what a hardcore fps player (playing CS, CoD 4 or w/e) actually is.

^ That's a bit of BS because its a different skill playing on 360 than on PC. Sure if you linked up 360 FPS players against PC FPS players then PC would come out on top but when pitted against people with equal tools (ie anologue vs anologue) with a console you still have quality 'hardcore' players just as much as you get the PC 'hardcore' players. You get people with the same gaming prowess anywhere you venture.

And I guess gaming is more of a sport for you. Which is OK. It isnt as enjoyable but if it's pure skill and competition you're after...

The keyboard and mouse is completely different from dual analogue, sure the mouse is a lot smoother but i wouldn't say either set-up is better. On a controller you have all the possible commands mapped to you're finger (and thumb) tips, the control tends to be a lot faster.

Console shooters and PC shooters tend to be very different from each other, even the same game on the other platform plays completely differently. PC shooters are very much down to fast movement and steady aim, console shooters tend to throw more at you. The worse aim is made up by more gunfire, grenades, melee combat etc.

I probably come from a v. different background to most on this site. I'm not a console gamer. I'm a hardcore pc gamer who likes nintendo games too. For anyone to suggest themselves as a hardcore FPS player and then go on to prefer a pad is ludicrous.

There is very little hardcore scene on the 360, most of you probably don't even know the extent of esports etc. Keyboard and mouse is the best way to play, it's not what is the most fun it's what is the most effective. When your playing a game, in a team, for hours a night, competing on online tournaments and leagues and then going to LAN competitions for real prizes what counts is what wins. I think some people need to realise this difference.

Whatever you think is most fun is personal and that's up to you to decide. But, let's not forget what a hardcore fps player (playing CS, CoD 4 or w/e) actually is.

I couldn't care less about what you're talking about. Maybe I misused the term hardcore FPS'er - even though I put quasi as a prefix to show I'm not. I used the word hardcore to mean that's all I really play alot on the PC and the 360 -as I wouldnt class myself as a casual FPS'er. Not that i'm sad enough to play all day/ every day to try and 'be the best' and compete competetively.

The Pad isn't less effective if everyone is on the same playing field. Yes, it is about preference.