N-Europe

"signal lost" on monitor - brand new PC

Shorty

My parents have bought a brand new PC, but the monitor is just showing a 'signal lost' message.

I know this tends to happen when the PC isn't feeding anything to the monitor , or when it's trying to output in a resolution the monitor doesn't support, but I can't understand why that would be the case with a brand new computer...

Unfortunately I can't check that they've done everything right (parents, eh?) because all I can do is listen over the phone. And unfortunately it's quite hard to solve hardware issues over the phone. I had them plug in my old tv/monitor instead and that also lost the signal straight away by the sounds of things.

From what I can tell over the phone, the BIOS appears briefly before the signal disappears.

The comp's brand new, this is the first time they've ever tried to start it up. There's no Windows disk with it apparently, so I assume it must be pre-installed.

Anyone got any ideas I can throw their way?

Hehe I work in "Tech Support" and a customer once rang in with a problem like that.

PC World upgraded 3 of his computers.

1 with new ram

2 with new ram and graphics card.

The two with the new graphics card boots straight to no signal.

It seems common that people will plug it into the usual slot cause they're so used to it or they don't know that upgrading from integrated to an agp/pci/pci-e one that they'll have to plug it in there.

Of course, I advised him to locate the lower connector and it works :D