N-Europe

Need help from learner drivers

Dog-amoto

Hope nobody thinks I'm spamming with this, cos I'm not, but I'm currently making a DVD for my students showing a few of the tricky situations that you'll encounter on the road. It's shot from inside the car and it'll also show specific areas on the test routes where I know of lots of people fail their driving test. This one in particular was made because a lot of learners stare straight ahead and worry too much about the oncoming car when turning at a mini roundabout.

I've only just made a start on it, please excuse the poor sound quality as the voiceover I've done was recorded on my computer's internal microphone (need to buy a mic). The picture quality will of course be a lot better too, so will the graphics.

But my question is, would you find this helpful? I'm particularly interested in learner drivers opinions as all of my friends can drive and they know this stuff anyway.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-dJwacitafk

Many thanks!

i think this will be a great idea once you sort out the sound and image quality ~ you explain it nice and clearly... and i kind of like the hand-drawn graphics ^__^ speed them up a bit and i think you should keep them.

couple of things tho ~ any chance of a bit more viability either side? i dont know if it's just me, but the closed in view makes me feel really weird... and, putting a right signal on is fine but if you're intending this for learners pending tests - you gotta remind them to check mirrors, signal and then think about the other stuff...

two things i had real problems with while i was learning were left reverse around a corner, and knowing when i could go on a big roundabout... (3+lanes...*shudder*) i'm fine with them now though ^^ luckily something just clicked right before my actual test and i became all fearless ~ hah.

My tutor has three stickers one on the back window and two on either side, so that it's easier to tell when reversing around a corner.

Checking mirrors as bluey said is a major thing, espcially when learning to drive!

I found the only thing you need to know about doing a right turn on a roundabout is to look, make sure you signal, keep in the roundabout if possible (the little dinky one is abit different) and go. However the video is quite good, although as mentioned the sound and view is alittle off. Which is to be expected for a youtube video.

I'd find videos on 3-point turns and reverse around a corner alot more helpful, considering from the people I talk to they tend to say that's the worst.

For me the only problem I'm having is I'm too nice to the car, between gear switches at 1-2 I'm not forceful enough...oh my days xD

Thanks for the feedback :smile:

The video quality will be much better on the actual DVD, though as for the angle, that's as far as I can zoom out. The camera is mounted on the passenger side headrest and it's as far back as it can go. Though I will be filming some sections with somebody controlling the camera, and actually getting out and filming certain busy roundabouts from the side of the road. Bet I get some funny looks! *shudder*

As for the sound quality, that will improve when I buy a proper microphone, and I will rehearse what I'm saying as well. And as for the mirrors - that will be covered on the lessons. I always make sure that my students check their mirrors. The problem is actually knowing where to look and this is why I'm doing the DVD. It's meant to compliment my students' lessons, that's why I'll be giving it away for free.

I probably won't put too much on youtube, but we'll see.

Oh and I will be doing videos on manoeuvres too!

Thanks again!