N-Europe

Good Editing Programme

CooInTheZoo

Sorry if i'm lazy with the info, haven't got the cam with me.

Just blew my driving fund on a Sony DVD/DCR (560E i think..) camcorder. Records straight onto mini-DVDs, touch screen, HD filming, the works.

The tech guys in the Media Suite at college said it won't connect with Final Cut Pro or any of the editing programs on the Macs, possibly because it needs a windows programme or something, basically they had no way of getting the film off the disc without converting all the footage onto DV tape. Ive been doing it for a few weeks now and its really pissing me off, wasting time making my films lower in quality so i can edit.

So ive got a naff laptop at my flat, with no internet connection there (hence the absence, sorry!) Can anyone reccomend a good programme that you think will work with my camera? Cheers!!!

x

Thing is though, the Camera records onto disc, not tape. Theres this playback machine at college which i've been using to get the footage onto tape to edit, but im looking for a decent edit programme which i can use on my XP laptop, one that will actually see the files on the disc.

The camera is similiar to this one, if not the actual one.

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4DVQ&CategorySelectedId=11249&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11249,50417,46880000

(though, Im sure mine was around £490-£540 and was a 560E)

You could try a DVD ripper that rips into conventional video formats. Try HandBrake, it's for Windows and Mac and I think you can rip those DVD's with it.

HandBrakeIcon128.png

It's a little of a way around it, but the problem is the recording to disc. Mini DV camera's are much better if you want to edit. The ones with discs are just great for families who don't edit it, just want to see what they taped.

If I misunderstood you and you are talking about a hard disc, then I'd advice you to try Premiere Pro for a second, see if you can get it working with that. (There's a free trial on Adobe's site). If you can pull it off with that, you can pull it off with more mainstream too, and the drivers are avaible.

This is so annoying, I could of saved myself a ton of cash and got a cheaper DV tape model to pass my course with.

Thanks for all the help so far, if anyone thinks of anything i'd be very gratefull. I'll order the Roxio Easy Media Creator later because apparently it can ripp the files off of the DVDs, and im 'aquiring' Sony Vegas as we speak...