NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
martinist

Nvidia GeForce 8800GTX in SLI?

I feel like upgraiding the graphics card in my Dell Dimension 9200, so if i were to buy 2 of these and put them both in SLI would my PC explode from the sheer graphical awesomeness?

Also how would i go about finding the information for the power suply?

i'm using a DuleCore Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 CPU's running at 2.13 GHz

current Graphics card is a single Nvidia GeForce 7900GS running at 256Mb

Would i have to overhaul my processor and power supply or my entire system in order to run these two beasts in SLI?

Ugh, I have that PC downstairs, mine doesn't even have 1 PCI-E x16 slot in it. You'll need two of these to run the 2 GPUs, and a better power supply would probably be a good idea too.

If I were you I'd go for 2 8800GTs; they're harder to come by at the moment but they're awesome in SLI.

The GTX card isn't suitable any more. It's dated and overpriced. Also as NdiB said, you're computer probably lacks the ports and the power supply for this kind of thing. You'd be better off just getting a single 8800GTS 512MB when they come out (in two days I think)

Your power supply might not be enough, but probably will for a GTS.

The only way (that I know) to get your power supply info is to open the PC up and look on the power supply itself. If it's not good enough then you'll have to get an upgrade direct from Dell because they like to make new shapes so most standard hardware won't fit.

I feel like upgraiding the graphics card in my Dell Dimension 9200, so if i were to buy 2 of these and put them both in SLI would my PC explode from the sheer graphical awesomeness?

Also how would i go about finding the information for the power suply?

i'm using a DuleCore Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 CPU's running at 2.13 GHz

current Graphics card is a single Nvidia GeForce 7900GS running at 256Mb

Would i have to overhaul my processor and power supply or my entire system in order to run these two beasts in SLI?

SLi is, to be pretty honest, a waste of cash. You pay 2x the price of a single card, only get (at best) one and a half times the performance, boost you're power requirements by a good 200-250W and the card is still out-dated at the same time as a single card.

The power supply in a Dimension 9200 should be 375W (thanks google!) and it has a single PCIe slot. As you're budget seems pretty high an 8800GT or 8800GTS (make sure it's the new one) are you're best buys, or wait and see what appears next year

i think i'll wait untill the sales in January, might pick up a GTS on the cheap. Thanks for your help.

For the love of god, do not buy a G90 8800 card.

The 512mb GTS just came out, its nearly as powerful as the Ultra! THE ULTRA.

I mean, seriously wait and buy a G92 GTX or Ultra, Q1. Wait.

Sorry to resurrect this thread from thread hell but i decided to take a look inside my PC for the first time. It was dusty as hell but i gave it a clean and such.

DSC00428.jpg

Here is the card i'm using atm. What is the best card that i could fit in there?

Took a look at the power supply also, said about 300 or 400W output but there was alot of numbers on there.

Would i have to upgrade the power supply also?

Well, that's a PCI-E, if your PSU is 400W then you'd just about manage a GT or GTS, if it's 300W you'd need an upgrade.

Yep, upgrade PSU and get an HD 3970 X2, as you seem to have the cash to spare. 400W on a PSU is rather low and risky for demanding stuff.

Sign in to follow this