NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

Have Nintendo Made Amends?

There were just too many sony/microsoft fanboys, who thought the game cube looked like a toy or something and started the rumor that it was for kids.

Wha..? How did Sony and Microsoft acquire those fanboys? Simple; by being more accesible to 3rd parties and allowing them to express themselves a bit more.

It is all about the 3rd parties. If the 3rd parties feel your console is not capable of giving them the sells we wish then we move on to the next one, simple. I feel using those 8cm 'priority' discs was another barrier, I mean why do that anyway? Use a medium with lower storage than the rest of the market. This is perhaps one of the reasons we didn't get the ports that Xbox got from the PS2; MGS substance, Pro Evolution (pal) etc etc. - When the GCs only Metal Gear Solid needed two discs, only boosting production costs.

As for the Gamecube's colour scheme (controller as well), yes it was not great marketting, the Snes or N64 didn't look this kiddy so why do it? Don't blame the school kids trying to look cool for avoiding a purple console with a colourful, toy-like controller - Nintendo's R&D should have saw this coming.

In terms of what I mentioned above, then yes Nintendo has made amends as they have corrected all of that.

BUT...

(I'll continue this later - I'm watching HEROES! :p)

They used a different type of media to help prevent piracy, or so I heard. I don't recall ever hearing about pirated Gamecube games (although I'd be surprised if they never existed), but I have heard about pirated Wii games.

Yeah, the smaller discs were to combat piracy. As far as I know, it was pretty successful in that respect.

Wha..? How did Sony and Microsoft acquire those fanboys? Simple; by being more accesible to 3rd parties and allowing them to express themselves a bit more.

It is all about the 3rd parties. If the 3rd parties feel your console is not capable of giving them the sells we wish then we move on to the next one, simple. I feel using those 8cm 'priority' discs was another barrier, I mean why do that anyway? Use a medium with lower storage than the rest of the market. This is perhaps one of the reasons we didn't get the ports that Xbox got from the PS2; MGS substance, Pro Evolution (pal) etc etc. - When the GCs only Metal Gear Solid needed two discs, only boosting production costs.

As for the Gamecube's colour scheme (controller as well), yes it was not great marketting, the Snes or N64 didn't look this kiddy so why do it? Don't blame the school kids trying to look cool for avoiding a purple console with a colourful, toy-like controller - Nintendo's R&D should have saw this coming.

In terms of what I mentioned above, then yes Nintendo has made amends as they have corrected all of that.

BUT...

(I'll continue this later - I'm watching HEROES! :p)

But if the 3rd parties developed for Nintendo in the first place then it would be the most popular system and therefore the best console the sell there games on.

Nintendo in my opinion did nothing wrong. The school kids are still to blame as they actually cared (why not just buy the black colored console) the controller was just as colourful as the xbox one.

Meh, both are different consoles, I love both GC was the best for me last gen, let's see how Wii fares.

I don't care about this "making amends" stuff.

I don't think they need to make amends for anything, I was perfectly satisfied with the GC. The GC got a better start than the Wii, then tailed off. However the Wii is only going to get better, and next years E3 will prove it.

Yeah, the smaller discs were to combat piracy. As far as I know, it was pretty successful in that respect.

TBH I'd prefer to lose money from pirating than no one actually buying the consoles due to a lack of games. The PS2 and Xbox are just as liable to pirates.

In retrospect the GC sounds great, but what I remember from the Cube was months upon months of no new games. I remember my friends who I swayed into buying a GC only to see it detached from the TV and stuffed somewhere in place of a PS2 a month or so later. I found myself playing the same old games over and over, but it was the quality of the games that kept me coming.

I sense the same problem occurring with the Wii - the Wii doesn't have many incentives to turn it on for prolonged times. But I am willing to be optimistic and say "its just the 1st year" but this is like 1/5 of the consoles lifespan. How many secret games can they possibly be working on to stuff into a given year? Even after Galaxy and Metroid, some people still feel like this.

But I'll do a 'Jammy' and be optimistic; Brawl has me feeling similar to how I felt upon approaching Ocarina of Time, the last trailer of Crystal Chronicles revealed some attractive gameplay, Mario Kart online, and a few others have me twiddling my thumbs. I'm sure when I have Brawl with me I will feel different.

I just don't want to hear the "Nintendo is doing all it can" excuse. Nintendo has the £££ to sign a few deals and swing a few heads, they just never seem to be doing much to reach out to 3rd parties almost seeming too proud to do so, while just keeping to the formulas that sell - in this case 'cheap' games with intense waggle - If a Sonic and Mario game were ever released on the GC you could bet your arse that it wouldn't be a mere Olympic game, these franchises coming together could have been the stuff of legends if it went the traditional route.

You are only as good as your last accomplishment right? People forget all about the good things when things are looking bad, and vice versa.

But I do believe Nintendo has struck a cord. Cazualising the games can also make them more fun for hardcore to play. I think they understand this very well.

The PS2 and Xbox are just as liable to pirates.

More so I'd imagine. And this generation the 360 seems to be the worst (best?) for it.

Regarding the Gamecube having no games (or at least games I was interested in) for long periods, I would say the Xbox was just as guilty (I can't speak much for the PS2 because I didn't buy one until 2005, and so had five years worth of back catalogue to choose from). Since I had both a Gamecube and Xbox (and the PC) I was never exactly without anything to play.

I played the GC a hell of a lot more then I play the Wii and I sold my GC 6 months after I got it. Got one again last year on the cheap and picked up most of the games I missed out on.

Not sure really why I still have my Wii thinking about it, pretty sure im only keeping it for Smash Brothers. Nothing else really appeals to me all of the big games released so far have disapointed me. Nintendo haven't addressed the reasons why I got rid of my Gamecube with the Wii infact its probably worse.

To me the GC was actually a very successful system. Sure it didn't do very well in comparison to the PS2 but it had a lot of great games: Geist, Killer7, Battalion Wars, Metroid Prime, RE4, Zelda WW, Smash Bros, Rogue Leader, Baten Kaitos...

So yes I was very happy with my GC but I'm equally happy with my Wii. They have really brought out a few good games so far: Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Excite Truck, Super Paper Mario, Zelda TP...

But what I found lacking in all of them is the difficulty (except MP3 on Veteran and Excite Truck) because they're trying to make it more accessible.

That and the friends code systems are two things they need to get sorted.

And I also don't like their whole "casual" policy at all. I don't want to play games to train my brain and I don't want to play sports on the Wii when I could go out and do them in real life.

Sure I got my fair share of games I want but I think they're shifting focus a bit too much and looking at sales figures it could go bad for them because the "big" games don't sell well (in Japan) and the casuals are happy with Wii Sports and Brain Training, so they don't buy that often.

Sign in to follow this