NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Rummy

Broadband on a cable(virgin) line...?

I dunno if anyone would know, but all google gets me is a ton of bband comparison sites and I'm short for time in the library to trundle through them all. Basically I've just been majorly buggered over and informed by AOL, having had no internet access from them for two months due to some error, that they have absolutely no idea what the hell my problem could be and the only way to solve it would be to totally disconnect me from their service then reconnect me as a new customer...BUT apparently they no longer take people who are on cable lines(such as myself, given we have ntl phone which is now VM) and because of that and the two companies it is just a total impossibility to be reconnected. However, I'm wondering - Is there actually any company out there other than VM themselves who offer broadband over a cable line at a good rate? Our options are to get VM Bband, or get a BT line and have a whole extra set of options then, though the latter is likely to be most costly time and moneywise.

Pretty sure Virgin own the Cable lines and don't rent them out to anyone. I would go with them any way, even if there are other Cable companies around i doubt they will be better than Virgin.

As an ISP they rate pretty highly, the only ones better than them are all DSL and not really worth the cost of subscription + BT line rental unless you use it for phone too

I see, thanks for the info. I figured along the same lines after I stopped to think about it, and it's gonna cost us £125 to get BT connected(when we changed to bellcablemedia way back in the day the engineer who did it cut the line, so we could connect it ourselves but apparently you can be fined a grand for interfering with their lines). We'd be likely to use BT for phone too, we're a bit iffed by virgin's prices and plans so it's all sort of come to a head, it's just trying to make sure we make the right choice. :S

EDIT:Hmm...reading about their traffic management policies, they sound a bit gay.

They bought out blueyonder too? Wow, they're just big buggering buyouters! Seems like it's gonna be the way to go, cos otherwise we're looking at a £125 connection fee back to BT.

Yeah and they stole the broaband phone and tv service from ntl too. Give back ntl damn it. (not going to happen)

Eh? Not quite guys.

NTL bought Telewest Broadband (aka Blueyonder) they became NTL: Telewest then were rebranded Virgin Media. Simple.

I used to have 20mbit VM line (ex Blueyonder) back in Halifax, i miss it...

Ok, I have another question along similar lines only not quite. I dunno if anyone would know, and it's probably more law related than anything else, but when companies say that something is 'upto XX Mbps' what criteria has to be met for that to be claimed? Like...whats to stop them giving you a 20Mbps speed for like a minute, and then you get 5Mpbs forever more elsewise?

Sign in to follow this