N-Europe

Win32/Virut

Rico

Our family computer is infected with the Win32/virut virus, and its causing some real problems.

Pretty much, nothing can be run in normal mode without becoming infected, and the majority of system files are infected so can't be used (task manager, regedit etc). Also the internet connection has been closed so nothing can connect.

I've been able to run some things in safe mode, Spybot, AVG Anti-Spyware, Avast to name a few, and none have been able to fix the problems, most likely because they themselves have been infected. I've tried Portable ClamWin from a CD, but this doesn't support healing of items, which is a concern as it could be a problem just deleting files with little means of replacing them.

There are some important files on here, so i would rather not reformat, and as its a pre-built machine the OS is an OEM, so the recovery files, stored in i386 are most likely infected too.

Any one able to help?

Specs are:

Windows XP MCE 2005

1.6Ghz Dual Core Processor

2 Gb RAM

thanks to all who help

Yeah it is a pretty nasty thing, it pretty much got inside the exe of everything i tried to scan it with, and it stopped me being able to connect to the internet.

But its sorted now :)

and i hope no one else ever gets it, its a pain.