NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Marshmellow

Quick question [processors]

Currently I have a P4 and I'm planning on getting a Core 2 Duo processor. I found 2 processors for the same price on eBay and they are both real good, but which one is better? I don't understand much about processors...

The two that I chose are:

Core 2 Duo E6600 Speed: 2.4Ghz FSB: 1066

Core 2 Duo E6550 Speed: 2.33Ghz FSB: 1333

Thanks!

edit* the 6550 makes more sense to me since if I really want to I can just oc it 7mhz... Does fsb speed make much of a difference? Cause its pwning the 6600.

It depends on the motherboard that you have/choose as to whether you'll be able to use all the FSB speed. If you have a 1066 FSB motherboard then it would be better to buy the E6600, as otherwise you'll be under clocking the processor massively, or over clocking the motherboard massively.

Well, bear in mind that with a bit of cooling you could buy the E6600, overclock the CPU FSB to 1333 (and, therefore, the Speed to 3GHz) and not have to overclock the mobo at all.

I'm getting an ASUS P5N32-E as well, It supports 1333fsb.

That board... is insane.

I have an Asus P5N board, top class so i can highly recommend them.

So the E6600 is better for OCing?

What do you mean oc the mobo?

I know about nothing in terms of oc...

So the E6600 is better for OCing?

What do you mean oc the mobo?

I know about nothing in terms of oc...

I didn't say it was better for overclocking, just it would be easier. If you know about nothing on overclocking then don't even worry about it.

Just do a google search on "e6550 vs e6600". About a million forum threads will pop up. Read them all. :p

(I've had a very quick scan and it seems like the E6600 performs very, very slightly better in general.)

what about the E6750? its cheaper than the E6600 and more powerful than both of those chips

Maybe at retail prices... eBay has 'em for about $30 more...

I'm off to do a huge search;)

Thanks everybody! Especially Mr_Odwin!

edit* found this which gave a good comparison. The 6600 and 6550 were really close in all of the tests and the 6550 is a little cheaper so I think in the end imma go with that, I don't really need a super high end processor, I just need a dual core one...

I really was contemplating the 6750 but I need the money for something else.

Sign in to follow this