NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Apple_NdiB

A couple of quickies

I'm using this psu: http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/114945 with my rig and I can confirm that my system works fantastically! This is on a 640mb 8800gts, 2gb ram and an Intel Core 2 Duo E6420.

I highly recommend that psu!

Thats the one im away to buy, should be able to find it a bit cheaper though (or at least i hope i can, £70 would make it the second most expensive component in my system!)

I got mine from overclockers.co.uk when i got all the parts for my rig. Though it's only £1 cheaper over there...

A few more questions have popped up since the last time I posted in this thread:

1. I have a 22" monitor with a native resolution of 1680 x 1050, which seems to be about the point where the 320mb gts starts to stutter, should I go for the 640 after all?

2. This is a bit confusing, my hard drive and optical drive are both "OEM", which means they may not come with the cables needed to install them. Has anyone else bought OEM components, and if you did did you have to purchase the cable separately?

3. The case I'm buying has 4 fans, I've been looking at diagrams of my motherboard and I can't work out how many fan connectors it has, take a look at this diagram - http://www.xbitlabs.com/misc/picture/?src=/images/mainboards/asus-p5k/p9.jpg&1=1 , will I have enough inputs for all of the fans?

Thanks.

1: yes.

2: yes.

3. yes. (you may need to buy some adapters, theres only pennies i wouldn't even think about that now)

In response to 3 - Eh? Not too sure what you meant there, what are these adapters and how can I find out if I need them?

A few more questions have popped up since the last time I posted in this thread:

1. I have a 22" monitor with a native resolution of 1680 x 1050, which seems to be about the point where the 320mb gts starts to stutter, should I go for the 640 after all?

2. This is a bit confusing, my hard drive and optical drive are both "OEM", which means they may not come with the cables needed to install them. Has anyone else bought OEM components, and if you did did you have to purchase the cable separately?

3. The case I'm buying has 4 fans, I've been looking at diagrams of my motherboard and I can't work out how many fan connectors it has, take a look at this diagram - http://www.xbitlabs.com/misc/picture/?src=/images/mainboards/asus-p5k/p9.jpg&1=1 , will I have enough inputs for all of the fans?

Thanks.

2. Depends on your mobo package too. Mine came with several SATA cables, a floppy cable and an IDE cable.

In response to 3 - Eh? Not too sure what you meant there, what are these adapters and how can I find out if I need them?

I'm not to sure, your case ans might come with molex plugs so they don't go into your motherboard.

Thanks.

My fans are plugged straight in to my PSU, the mobo manual and case manual didn't tell me where to put them so i guessed. Luckily i guessed right, its all working fine

You should be ok with cables, most good motherboards and psus come with basic cabling (i.e. 1 IDE, 2 SATA etc.). It might be worth asking people who already own you're kit though, or email the manufacturer

I bought it, if you'd like to look at the specs and tell me about the horrendous mistakes I made, take a look at this (I've been looking at reviews for the motherboard and it looks like it'll suit my needs, plus, ebuyer ran out of P5K's).

Item: Sony 3.5" Floppy Drive Black - OEM

Qty: 1Cost: 3.15

Item: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz 1333FSB Socket 775 4MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor

Qty: 1Cost: 102.18

Item: Antec Nine Hundred - Gaming Case with 200mm Top Fan - No PSU

Qty: 1Cost: 55.63

Item: Seagate 160GB 7200.10 7200RPM SATAII/300 8MB Cache - OEM

Qty: 1Cost: 28.78

Item: Arctic Cooling AC-FRZ-7P Socket 775 CPU Cooler

Qty: 1Cost: 13.88

Item: Antec TruePower Trio 650W PSU - With 3x 12v Rails and 120mm Fan

Qty: 1Cost: 68.07

Item: Samsung SH-S183 SATA 18x DVD±RW/RAM Black - Bare Drive OEM

Qty: 1Cost: 14.99

Item: Microsoft Basic Optical Black Mouse - USB

Qty: 1Cost: 8.66

Item: Microsoft Black Wired PS/2 Keyboard 500 - Retail Box

Qty: 1Cost: 6.16

Item: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium x32Bit OEM 1PK DVD

Qty: 1Cost: 54.46

Item: Corsair 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL4(4-4-4-12) E.P.P. Heat Spreader Lifetime Warranty

Qty: 1Cost: 63.82

Item: EVGA 8800GTS SuperClocked 320MB DDR3 DVI PCI-E Graphics Card

Qty: 1Cost: 167.91

Item: Foxconn P35A iP35 Socket 775 eSATA 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard

Qty: 1Cost: 61.38

Item: Logitech OEM Black S100 Stereo Speakers 2W RMS

Qty: 1Cost: 5.09

Uh oh...

Nah looks great :smile:

I noticed they got some more P5k's in before they started picking so I amended it. I have a copy of Bioshock with nothing to play it on at the moment, which comes in somewhere between the rack and having a lobster stuffed down your trousers.

Right, it's all arrived, wish me luck guys!

Sign in to follow this