NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
corkcrumbs

Shigerus consistency

I admire how consistent Shigerus thoughts about how videogames should be treated are, when it comes to how videogames work with... the… brain. There is a red line between so seemingly different games such as Zelda and Brain Training (sure, we should thank Iwata for the brain games, but that fact would spoil my thesis if I mentioned it clearly in the text, so I’ll keep it here in this parenthesis). Anyhow… if you take the brain scans that are displayed in brain training the first time you start up a new file in the game, they show--among other things--how little the brain works when it’s watching television, a medium which doesn’t activate the receiver (there are of course exceptions, such as Jeopardy, lol), but on the whole, tv is a pretty passive medium for the receiver, but then there where other brain scans that showed how much the brain worked when the person was reading aloud and did other â€demanding tasksâ€. What I’m getting at here, and the red line is perhaps pretty weak, but what I’m getting at, is that Zelda has always stayed with text instead of voice for the characters. Why? Because--and this is just what I believe--Shigeru wants people to â€activate their imaginationâ€, and â€activate their brains moreâ€. The user (not receiver) is constantly bombarded with multiple choices, involved when exploring, the brain is always active, and when Link talks to NPC’s in the world it’s text based, because that spurs the imagination more than voice.

I think that the cell shaded Link we see in Phantom Hourglass would never have worked well with voice, that game works best with text.. But.. Now that graphics have come so far as they have, maybe some action adventure games work better with voice, possibly even a future Zelda game :-o

An example of a gameplay scenario that on paper seem like it needs voice, but in actuality don’t…

Gulliver’s Travel… in a metroid game idea I have… it’s basically Samus and a friend that needs to wake up â€Gulliver†who is a giant troll sleeping… they need Gulliver to fight a Space Pirate boss, and as they close in on him they can see a small group of space pirates climbing him and on the verge of killing him with a swift slash on one of his big blood veins… Samus starts shooting the space pirates.. And finally arrives to Gulliver who still sleeps, so the friend and Samus runs over to his left ear and screams into it to have him wake up.

But this scenario of course still works great with text… â€Wake up!!! Wake up!!!â€, lol, but no, I’m not being sarcastic here, I truly think that text is a justifiable medium for games even though this generation of games allow for very expressive character animation.

Ermmmm....

Yeah, what he said^^^

*Runs away only to get knocked down by a bus chasing an elephant which escaped from the Zoo.*

The real question is, what zoo?

well if u read it all you'll find parts about you in it, things like "i love eevil murray wohooo!"

Black silhouetted academy arts croud a la The Mask

"Thank you! Thank you!"

EDIT: it would be cool if n-europe used it as their logo :P but of course.. a lot snazzier looking than mine.. maybe like the text and the map over a globe (would mean an overdimensionized version of europe..) have the logo "3D protruding" a bit, and bending over the visible part of the globe.. cool.

Sign in to follow this