NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
DomJcg

Laptop Shutting down for no reason

i have an XP OS and its an advent made laptop with 1 Gb of RAM and a 1.70 processor, ive had it for about 8 months or so and in terms of changing it all ive done is changed the skin of it, on to the main problem, in april or so, i was using visual basic and writing some code when suddenly the mouse becomes unresponsive and 10 seconds later my laptop shuts down completely, recently (past month or so) this has been happening more and more often. The greatest number of times its shut down in a day is 5 (today) i was in computing using prolog (very old program) and it shuts down, later i turn it on and before i can do anything (save logging on) it shuts down, open N-e later on in the day, shuts down, try to burn a dvd, shuts down and so on. So the question is, whats going on and how can i stop it?!?

Seems like over heating.

Download SpeedFan (google it) and see how high your temperature is when it shuts down.

If its high, thats probably the reason... that or its a virus or something.

I had the same problem with my gateway laptop 1gb xp.

I would have it reset on me mid coursework! *thank god for word auto save!* Reset on me mid way through Extras surfing the internet!!

I sent it back to gateway with like 2 days left on warranty! XD

And now I had it back for like 2 months and it hasnt switched off since.

Gateway repair log as follows:

"reseated fan, added thermal paste, general clean"

Aka it's getting too hot! and hence is switching off. If you can send it off and do without your pc for a bit then let them do it. If you are out of warrenty try openining it up and give it a quick hoover for dust and *hairs?!* and buy some thermal paste and put it around the grfx and cpu areas.

and buy some thermal paste and put it around the grfx and cpu areas.

Yeah as long as you don't drown it :)

Seems like over heating.

Download SpeedFan (google it) and see how high your temperature is when it shuts down.

If its high, thats probably the reason... that or its a virus or something.

over heating, hmm i'll download that sppedfan as it does get beasty hot sometimes, as for the virus thing, i doubt it, i've ran ccleaner, ad-aware, norton and prevx2 =/ im definately sending it back to pc world as im 4 months left on the warrenty =)

new question: whats a good temperature for a laptop? at the moment its 40 degrees

over heating, hmm i'll download that sppedfan as it does get beasty hot sometimes, as for the virus thing, i doubt it, i've ran ccleaner, ad-aware, norton and prevx2 =/ im definately sending it back to pc world as im 4 months left on the warrenty =)

new question: whats a good temperature for a laptop? at the moment its 40 degrees

For a Pentium-M/Core (2) Duo that is perfectly fine - normally overheating is caused by games, because GPU/CPU get too hot since both are supplied by the same fan. So GPU stressing applications cause much greater temperature. I rather doubt that it is a temperature problem. Normally clockspeed would be reduced and even without a fan - at 800MHz (downclocked by OS) you shouldn't have a problem.

Problem is that Speedfan might not read the temperature correctly - at least try Everest/Notebook Hardware Control or in the Bios settings. Run prime95, 3D Mark, etc. to really stress test your notebook and see what happens.

If the problem persists try a clean Windows installation and if that still doesn't fix the problem make use of your warranty and send it in with a detailed report.

I once had the problem that my notebook went over 80° in games because the fan was not working correctly - that is overheating.

If the problem persists try a clean Windows installation and if that still doesn't fix the problem make use of your warranty and send it in with a detailed report.

I once had the problem that my notebook went over 80° in games because the fan was not working correctly - that is overheating.

well the temp1 thing went up to 78 (from 71) after it shutdown again last night (that time i was testing it to see what i could and couldn't do) but it does shut down during games (i.e the first halflife, i know, lame)

Okay 78° is too hot unless your room is really warm > 25°

You could check if your fan is dusty and put it on 2 pieces of wood so air can get better into the slot (depending on your model). If that doesn't help I guess you should send it in.

Sometimes temperature can go over 70° but only when really playing demanding games like BF2142, Fable, etc.

it was 78 when it shut down i think (thus indication of the fan not working great) its 29 at the moment and averages 39-41 when ive been using it for awhile

Sign in to follow this