NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
|Laguna|

Revolution In May?!?

Well if they can release dev kits 2months before, I'm sure it'll be okay. Especially since a lot of the games could be quickly ported to the Rev.

Well if they can release dev kits 2months before, I'm sure it'll be okay. Especially since a lot of the games could be quickly ported to the Rev.

But then what makes the Revolution different to the other consoles if we are given simple ports. Nintendo need a good range of new, fresh titles that use the Revolution's new abilities to make the console more appealing.

Even if that is true, Nintendo's own titles are not as appealing to mass audiences as much as Playstation's so they need some solid third party support to give them a push at launch. And there's no chance of Metroid Prime 3 being ready for launch, Retro Studios have done all they can with Gamecube Dev Kits and according to Matt from IGN there still waiting to receive Revolution Dev Kits. So that leaves Mario 128, Super Smash Bros. 3 and the new IP just for launch, that's no way near enough.

That was like July when that was reported. I'm pretty sure Nintendo will give Retro top priority when it comes to devkits - if Nintendo's got them, Retro has em a week later. Metroid Prime 3 should be pretty far in development. However, considering MP2 was finished in Q4 2004, a Q2 2006 release is too short, especially for a next gen title.

i think august appox for the rev as ninty will prob announce when the console is coming out at E3. I cant see them saying at E3 that everything is ready and being shipping for next month somehow it will take some time to get everything ready to not have shortages etc

However, considering MP2 was finished in Q4 2004, a Q2 2006 release is too short, especially for a next gen title.

You're making cerain assumptions with that statement, though. The fact they finished MP2 in Q4 2004 does not mean that they had not already started planning and outlining MP3, especially as it seems to have been planned as a loose "trilogy" from the start. When it became clear that the next one would almost be on the next-gen console, they would have most likely started ramping up new assets with that in mind. By the end of MP2 development, the designers and concept makers would have had very little to do with it, at that stage it would have been down to coders and artists for any changes required.

You're making cerain assumptions with that statement, though. The fact they finished MP2 in Q4 2004 does not mean that they had not already started planning and outlining MP3, especially as it seems to have been planned as a loose "trilogy" from the start. When it became clear that the next one would almost be on the next-gen console, they would have most likely started ramping up new assets with that in mind. By the end of MP2 development, the designers and concept makers would have had very little to do with it, at that stage it would have been down to coders and artists for any changes required.

Considering the gap between MP1 and MP2 (two years), which was without updating the graphics, I think it's a pretty reasonable to say that 18 months is too short. Even Metroid Prime Hunters is taking almost two years (March 2004 - January 2006). In fact, I think we're lucky if it's in stores before 2007.

But then what makes the Revolution different to the other consoles if we are given simple ports. Nintendo need a good range of new, fresh titles that use the Revolution's new abilities to make the console more appealing.

Nintendo would give there own games too!!!

Considering the gap between MP1 and MP2 (two years), which was without updating the graphics, I think it's a pretty reasonable to say that 18 months is too short. Even Metroid Prime Hunters is taking almost two years (March 2004 - January 2006). In fact, I think we're lucky if it's in stores before 2007.

You're still missing the point, though, how do you know work wasn't started on MP3 before MP2 was finished? I'm not saying it was, but you're working on the basis that it wasn't.

YenRug is right. They could have started quite a bit before knowing quite what the Rev's controller or final graphics were like. Especially with Nintendo guiding them.

You're still missing the point, though, how do you know work wasn't started on MP3 before MP2 was finished? I'm not saying it was, but you're working on the basis that it wasn't.

I'm not missing the point, I was trying to say that if MP3 was already started during MP2 devlopment, MP2 would've been started before MP1 was finished in a similar way, still with a 2 year gap between them.

I'm not missing the point, I was trying to say that if MP3 was already started during MP2 devlopment, MP2 would've been started before MP1 was finished in a similar way, still with a 2 year gap between them.

Why does the possibility, of one being started before the other was finished, directly imply that the same situation occurred before? Your conclusion is spurious, there is no direct correlation between the two events. One situation does not mean that the opposite situation cannot exist, in this case.

going on the basis of 3 months approx.(or a business quarter) its only gonna be either Q2(july, aug, sep) or Q3(Oct, Nov, Dec) if they make the time scale and don't over run into 2007. Both seem good in different ways, Q2, you have the hype from E3, this is my personal opinion of a good place to launch(plus we'd get it sooner), but you also have christmas at the other end Q3, its all upto nintendo. It also sounds that the final hardware maybe finished by the start of the new year so a Q2 release is looking realistic.

Nintendo said this

Breaking: Mark this date in your diaries - Nintendo are revealing everything about the Revolution at E3 in just under 165 days...

Nintendo has alerted the world's gaming media with a final, definate date for when "all the incredible details about Nintendo's upcoming games and hardware, including [their] next home console, code-named Revolution" will be revealed.

It's unsuprising the company is choosing to unveil the Revolution at E3, the gaming world's biggest trade-show, but it's good to have a date pinned down. Nintendo's conference will begin 09:30 Pacific Time (which is 17:30 GMT).

Sign in to follow this