NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Marshmellow

Some Questions On 64 bit Vista and Ram and Other Stuffs

As some of you may know I'll be purchasing a MacBook Pro pretty soon, and plan to install 32 bit Vista on it using Parallel Desktop.

However I am planning on having 4GB of Ram installed in it. Last time I had 4GB of RAM in one PC running Windows XP it only detected 3.25GB and it ended up being a big issue and such. Is it the same with 32 bit Vista? Or can Vista detect and utilize all 4GB of Ram?

If I installed 64 bit Vista instead whats the advantage and disadvantages of having a 64 bit OS? Do programs that I have installed on my current 32 bit Vista not work on 64 bit Vista? (64 bit Vista does detect 4GB of Ram right?)

Thanks!

It dependent on your processor. If your processor has physical address extensions enabled then you'll be able to access all your ram using either 32bit or 64bit Vista. If it doesn't then you'll probably only be able to access about 2-3Gigs.

Today it is probably best to use 32Bit vista if at all possible as all drivers on 64bit have to be digitally signed by Microsoft, meaning that there are less compatible drivers at the moment. Other than that, there's not too much difference between versions, especially from a user perspective.

It depends if you want a cheap "future proof" alternative, if so adding ram will probs be better 32 bit addresses 3.12gb methinks. Whereas 64bit can do anything till 8gb then I am a bit sketchy.

If you read the microsoft page regarding this you will find the processors which are compatible / needed for 64bit.

One concern is with macbooks 4gbs of ram is going to blow your bank balance :( Seriously not worth getting a pc as it's just a step more and a hell of a lot cheaper.

In 32Bit, the max ram (Dependant on processor type and other factors) is 4 GB

In 64Bit, the max ram (Dependant on processor type and other factors) is 16 EB

If you're using Parallels you can't even utilise all the RAM you have anyway...

One concern is with macbooks 4gbs of ram is going to blow your bank balance :( Seriously not worth getting a pc as it's just a step more and a hell of a lot cheaper.

Theres a place where MacBook Pro memory is pretty cheap.

If you're using Parallels you can't even utilise all the RAM you have anyway...

Yes, I guess I used the wrong word there...

Well I couldn't find anything on the Microsoft site, but I stumbled upon this via google. Tbh I didn't really understand what most of that said... But I got out of it that you really can't have a full 4GB of Ram on a 32 bit OS because of other components and stuff...

So would you guys recommend me to just get 3GB of Ram, or try to experiment with Vista 64bit... (Do regular 32bit apps work on 64 bit OS's?)

Thanks!

It is fine if you have 4 GB of RAM running under a 32bit OS, if the hardware supports it. All modern hardware does, so there should be no issue.

Windows XP memory addresses are composed of many items, like physical RAM, RAM on Graphic Cards, etc. All consume the 4GB 32bit address space. It does not matter if XP or Vista report less than 4GB, they are just mapping what can be allocated, you should not run into an issue other than the realization that you will be using 3-3.75 GB of system memory, instead of 4GB.

AS far as Vista is concerned, I give any version of it the thumbs down. Its XP in a new dress, though slower and crammed with more DRM and cumbersome garbage and its service pack is being delayed. If you are to use a 64-bit version of either, you will have to use 64-bit drivers proved by your hardware manufactures. AS you concern yourself with software, there is software made for 64-bit versions of windows, but there is a compatibility layer named "WOW64" which will enable many 32-bit native programs to run on the 64-bit OS. Typically, AV and some others are excluded from compatibility.

I recommend just 'ol 32-bit window XP pro for apple's bootcamp, if you need a windows install, or try Ubuntu if you want something new. AS was mentioned though, Parallel Desktop is going to cut up the RAM anyway between the various OSes.

Sign in to follow this