NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Mr_Odwin

Motherboard Choice

As part of my building a system for relatively little money I have to decide on a motherboard. I'm thinking of a £60-£80 (absolute maximum) type budget so I've narrowed it down to these:

(I was going to get an Asus p5b but they're out of stock on ebuyer. It has to be ebuyer as their free postage and google checkout deals are amazing.)

Abit AB9

Asus P5N-E

Asus P5B-E (Most Expensive)

MSI P6N

Anyone spot anything better on ebuyer that's in stock? Or should I wait it out for a P5B?

If they still don't have P5B's in, get the AB9, they all use the Intel 965p chipset's which are much better than the Nforce ones, and Asus and Abit are known for the best boards to :smile:

edit: 965p chipset's OC like a bitch too.

If they still don't have P5B's in, get the AB9, they all use the Intel 965p chipset's which are much better than the Nforce ones, and Asus and Abit are known for the best boards to :smile:

Huh ? In the reviews I have read the nforce chips beat the intel ones...

Nah, Nforce chipsets are messed up, i've only heard bad things about them.

Everyone i know on forums etc use P5B/P5B deluxes, AB9/AB9 Pro's.

Everything I read said go for the 965 over NForce.

Well, I just went for the P5B-E. It's bought in conjunction with an e4300. I may look to do a mild overclock to 266fsb, but that's about it. I'll be back here when that happens and I need help.

The only thing that I'm worried about with this purchase is installing XP using a SATA DVD drive. (I'm sticking with XP for a while to keep the budget down.)

Should it be easy enough? I added a floppy drive to my purchase just in case I need to use it in anyway.

My purchase:

Intel Core 2 Duo E4300

Antec NSK4400

Seagate 80GB Barracuda SATAII 7200RPM 8MB Cache

NEC Optiarc AD-7170S-0B

Sony 3.5" Floppy Drive

Kingston RAM PC2-4200

Asus Nvidia 7300GS 256MB

Asus P5B-E

Not bad for £268 (including delivery).

£10 Google discount per ebuyer order over £30, so I just bought lots of smaller orders. Some with free delivery for going over £89, before discount.

And I hope to get back some costs by ebaying my current set-up of 3.06GHz P4 with H/T, 1GB PC2100 RAM, ....

Sign in to follow this