N-Europe

Mac vs Windows

Jasper

And i'm surprised that no ones mentioned that OS X is the first OS thats 64 bit capable and mainstream due to leopard only coming in the one version. As opposed to the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of each edition of Vista.

How does that work then? You select which bit version you want to install while upgrading?

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does that work then? You select which bit version you want to install while upgrading?

Nope, runs both natively apparently, both 32 bit and 64 bit. Most apple computers are 64 bit so it's down to the apps your using i believe.

Also see ME

also when updating or re-installing the os on a mac you don't need to re-install all your applications and then restore your files from backup. you just pop in the os disk and do it

i never noticed the new shape of the dock in lepard

The OS basicly runs 32-bit, since 64-bit can also work 64-bit. Only, when you're on 64-bit, the OS will enable the script and systems that take advantage of the 64-bits. And off course, the applications.

ANd by closer inspection, I think the dock in Leopard looks a little... ankward and ugly, actually. We'll see when it runs on my new mac in December.

Yep, every say 5 years, with 2 service packs free, i'm sure if you average it out the price of upgrading is the same, except if you upgrade a mac's OS you don't stab yourself in the eye by upgrading to the wrong edition.

Vista Home Premium cost me £60.

Vista Home Premium cost me £60.

Yep, it cost me £0 (legally too) as I was given it via work.

I'm not sure how certain mac users can cope going to Tescos to do thier weekly shop, what with all those options of different kinds of baked beans, crips, peas and whatnot. Maybe they have special shops that only stock one kind of each product so that they don't all fall over in a heap trying to choose what's best for them!

Similarly, I'm sure the bods over at microsoft would enter a tesco extra, go to the beans aisle and complain that there wasn't a tin that contained exactly the right number of beans that they require and there should be more choice for them.

Yep, it cost me £0 (legally too) as I was given it via work.

I'm not sure how certain mac users can cope going to Tescos to do thier weekly shop, what with all those options of different kinds of baked beans, crips, peas and whatnot. Maybe they have special shops that only stock one kind of each product so that they don't all fall over in a heap trying to choose what's best for them!

Similarly, I'm sure the bods over at microsoft would enter a tesco extra, go to the beans aisle and complain that there wasn't a tin that contained exactly the right number of beans that they require and there should be more choice for them.

why do pc users always think you don't have any choices on a mac

only having one os package is a good thing it lets ordinary people use the same powerful os that professionals do

that would be like if adobe cs3 only came in the master collection but it was the same price as the cheapest package really is and people complained about not being able to just buy one suite

why do pc users always think you don't have any choices on a mac

only having one os package is a good thing it lets ordinary people use the same powerful os that professionals do

that would be like if adobe cs3 only came in the master collection but it was the same price as the cheapest package really is and people complained about not being able to just buy one suite

When compare to the PC you really don't get a lot of choice on a Mac. Theres little choice in OS. Little choice in hardware. Little choice in 3rd party apps. And little choice in compatable peripherals. (all comparitively to other OS' of course)

Thats one ofthe downsides of owning a Mac :wink:

there is lots of choice in os with boot-camp and parallels, third party hardware works well and it works without setting it up. there are lots of third parties that develop for macs ie: adobe (who if i remember correctly started on macs) and there are also lots of pheriferals.

the thing about extra hardware is it just works

there is lots of choice in os with boot-camp and parallels, third party hardware works well and it works without setting it up. there are lots of third parties that develop for macs ie: adobe (who if i remember correctly started on macs) and there are also lots of pheriferals.

the thing about extra hardware is it just works

Can I buy a mac without OSX and just run boot camp or parallels so I can choose my OS?

Third party hardware is much more limited than PC the vast majority of PC hardware works without setting up these days too.

Extra hardware can't possibly just work 100% of the time for 100% of all users, granted the sucess rate of installing new hardware is probably much higher for macs than pcs but some of this success can be attributed to the fact that mac users are generally more computer savvy than the average user so are less likely to do something daft.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of macs and would love to buy one eventually (lack of space in house and money in bank are stopping me) but the fact is that when you buy a mac, you are also buying OSX (no bad thing) and are therefore restricted in the amount and variety of software you can use from day one, especially free quality software, and are paying a premium for the privalage with no budget options.

When compare to the PC you really don't get a lot of choice on a Mac. Theres little choice in OS. Little choice in hardware. Little choice in 3rd party apps. And little choice in compatable peripherals. (all comparitively to other OS' of course)

Thats one ofthe downsides of owning a Mac :wink:

There are loads of peripherals that work on a Mac without any hassle. I agree with the rest though. On a PC you can get an application to do fucking anything, it's a bit more work on a Mac.

Why would it ever be bad to buy a computer and pay just one price for one OS? It's like getting Windows Vista® Ultimate Edition for the same price as the OS that's on your computer. You don't need to choose, you don't need to find what you want to do. You get the OS and can do anything a professional users could only do in Ultimate, and what a daily user could do with Home Basic.

And you pay almost the same as Windows Vista® Home Premium.

Limited? Peripherals always work on mac, there are barely any that work on windows that don't get a plug and play on mac. Software, okay, not as much, but if you're willing to cash out a little you get the same software, maybe even better. There's great software avaible nonetheless and more dvelopers are also looking at Mac as a possible platform.

And the little choice in hardware? Sheesh. It's been spoken of so much, but in the end: it's what makes Apple such a profitable company. And it's what makes macs so great. The hardware and OS work so well together, well, it's what makes macs good.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't say Windows® to be bad, I said that macs are good.

And MacOS X cannot be ran on any other than Apple's official hardware. There are not many ways avaible to install the OS on other systems.

When the computer and OS in question is twice as expensive as equivalents?

I've already said that that's Apple's advantage anyway. HP and Dell might be underpricing. I'm not going to explain it all again, read my previous post.

Why would it ever be bad to buy a computer and pay just one price for one OS? It's like getting Windows Vista® Ultimate Edition for the same price as the OS that's on your computer. You don't need to choose, you don't need to find what you want to do. You get the OS and can do anything a professional users could only do in Ultimate, and what a daily user could do with Home Basic.

And you pay almost the same as Windows Vista® Home Premium.

Limited? Peripherals always work on mac, there are barely any that work on windows that don't get a plug and play on mac. Software, okay, not as much, but if you're willing to cash out a little you get the same software, maybe even better. There's great software avaible nonetheless and more dvelopers are also looking at Mac as a possible platform.

And the little choice in hardware? Sheesh. It's been spoken of so much, but in the end: it's what makes Apple such a profitable company. And it's what makes macs so great. The hardware and OS work so well together, well, it's what makes macs good.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't say Windows® to be bad, I said that macs are good.

And MacOS X cannot be ran on any other than Apple's official hardware. There are not many ways avaible to install the OS on other systems.

Although you can come across a little arrogant sometimes, I generally agree with what you say. Is it ok to be a Mac fan who can see both sides of the argument PC guys?

Watched the keynote earlier and it was pretty good, Leopard definitely looks like something I'll want as soon as.

leopard- ultimate is only $129 usd, $137.20 cnd, *euro symbol* 96.83 and £65.33

Here's the full price list:

MacOS X 10.5 Leopard Ultimate Edition: 129$/99€

MacOS X 10.5 Leopard Business Edition: 129$/99€

MacOS X 10.5 Leopard Home Premium Edition: 129$/99€

MacOS X 10.5 Leopard Home Basic Edition: 129$/99€

MacOS X 10.5 Leopard Ultimate Upgrade Edition: 129$/99€

MacOS X 10.5 Leopard Business Upgrade Edition: 129$/99€

MacOS X 10.5 Leopard Home Premium Upgrade Edition: 129$/99€

MacOS X 10.5 Leopard Home Basic Update Edition: 129$/99€

MacOS X 10.5 Leopard Additional License (4) / Family Pack: 229$/175€ (this ia an estimated price by looking at Tiger's price).

Is that a clearer way of telling how good it is to have one OS with graphic greatness and more features compares to the-one-where-you-spin-the-wheel-of-fortune.

I especially love the 'didn't you make this?' part.

Oh, and the euro-symbol is usually ALT+$, but I don't know if that's same for you British (hey, I have your pounds on my keyboard too, so it should only be rightfull).

no it can't without extreme customization.

Im afraid it is extremely easy to get OSX on a PC, in-fact there's less set up options that there is for XP. Search Youtube for "OSX PC" or "OSX86" to watch vids of people using OSX on their PC's. The only thing you don't get is iLife, and it works perfectly on my brothers AMD PC.

OSX86

Here's the full price list:

MacOS X 10.5 Leopard Ultimate Edition: 129$/99€

MacOS X 10.5 Leopard Business Edition: 129$/99€

MacOS X 10.5 Leopard Home Premium Edition: 129$/99€

MacOS X 10.5 Leopard Home Basic Edition: 129$/99€

MacOS X 10.5 Leopard Ultimate Upgrade Edition: 129$/99€

MacOS X 10.5 Leopard Business Upgrade Edition: 129$/99€

MacOS X 10.5 Leopard Home Premium Upgrade Edition: 129$/99€

MacOS X 10.5 Leopard Home Basic Update Edition: 129$/99€

MacOS X 10.5 Leopard Additional License (4) / Family Pack: 229$/175€ (this ia an estimated price by looking at Tiger's price).

Is that a clearer way of telling how good it is to have one OS with graphic greatness and more features compares to the-one-where-you-spin-the-wheel-of-fortune.

I especially love the 'didn't you make this?' part.

Oh, and the euro-symbol is usually ALT+$, but I don't know if that's same for you British (hey, I have your pounds on my keyboard too, so it should only be rightfull).

there is no separate upgrade price since technically you have to be upgrading

Im afraid it is extremely easy to get OSX on a PC, in-fact there's less set up options that there is for XP. Search Youtube for "OSX PC" or "OSX86" to watch vids of people using OSX on their PC's. The only thing you don't get is iLife, and it works perfectly on my brothers AMD PC.

OSX86

Sadly enough, you're running a great OS on a PC. Wich means you are an incredible faker. 'I've got Mac', yeah right.