NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Marshmellow

Server OS's General Noob Q's

Soooo... MS just released Beta 3 of Longhorn to the public and it's semi-tempting to get... and later possibly get the full version but the thing is I don't even really understand whats the point of having a server OS as your main OS...

So basically I'm just wondering whats the point in having a Server OS, whats the advantages, and whats the difference in all the version of the new Longhorn OS, I mean theres Longhorn Standard Edition, Longhorn Standard 32bit edition, Longhorn Enterprise, and Longhorn Enterprise 32bit Edition, and quite a few others...

Thanks!

So am I. Can somebody please tell me what features for a server OS differ from normal OS's except for the fact you can control different computers?

Generally it does what it name says. It is a a operating system primary for server use. It comes with a HTTP server, tools for administrators to control workstations, has increased security/stability.

It is nothing a ordinary computer user would need. There are no real benefits beside compatibility issues with hard and software for the general use. Like in the early days of Windows 2000 - where nearly no games run, hardware support was below average, ...

My server just runs Windows XP, mostly because its quick.

I doubt i'll be running Vista Home Server, its specs seem a little insane.

For reasons I won't bore you with, my main development PC at work is running Windows Server 2003 so I know what it's like to have a server OS as your main OS.

Bottom line, don't bother.

First of all, quite a few bits of software and drivers won't be suported on the OS, typically client apps and graphics card drivers. If you get into a pickle with some software and need to ring the help line, they'll tell you to run it on Vista/XP instead. I've had an ATI graphics card in my dev PC and have never been able to easily upgrade the graphics drivers because ther are no compatible ones available.

Secondly, unless you know the ins and outs of server OSes, you're going to get worse performance playing games and other apps because there are numerous other processes happening in the background that aren't there in normal client OSes. I'd say pretty much anything you get with a server OS isn't useful for a pc that isn't hosting or serving a significant number of client PCs.

Sign in to follow this