NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Blackfox

Trojan Horseshit

Ok, so, my sister's boyfriend phoned me to say that as Trojan has infected his PC, and now wont let him use the internet. It fails to log on. He's arunning a windows 98, and from talking to him, i feel the virus has removed some key .dll's (i think) that enable internet connectivity.

You guys got any solutions? Im going round tomorrow to transfer the dll's that (ithink) are missing, but anymore solutions would be grand.

Yeah, I'd just wipe the drive and hook him up with a newer OS while you're at it if his computer can handle the upgrade.

Some people probably want to avoid wiping everything just to get back on the internet :P And I don't think that Winsock XP fix is going to help for win 98. Is there any detailed errors or anything? How do you know some dll files are missing? Perhaps you could take some spyware/antivirus prog with you....

Oh yes, sorry. I had the problem on Windows 98 too, so the program must be available for that somewhere too.

Ok, well, i thin the virus deleted the wininet.dll, and when googling this i found: "The Windows Internet (WinINet) application programming interface (API) enables applications to interact with Gopher, FTP, and HTTP protocols to access Internet resources. As standards evolve, these functions handle the changes in underlying protocols, enabling them to maintain consistent behavior."

So, i copied my version of the .dll to a disk, and gave him some anti-virus programs and sent him on his way. Thanks for the help guys.

Sign in to follow this