NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Red Steel - Some Of My Views

Well, I personally love Red Steel. True, the graphics could be better, and the sword fighting isn't really fun in the long run. It gets repetitive and annoying, and I could never get the special combos to work. I swear, the levels I spent the most time on were the ones where you HAD to do the special combos - THRICE for crying out loud!

But apart from these things, I loved the game. The controls were amazing, but what I loved the most was the atmosphere and the feel of the game. From the story (which unfortunately got a little blurry at the end) to the cutscenes to the level design, everything just felt so good. My friends and I have played the multiplayer part for I don't know how many hours and we had tremendous fun (though you need at least 2 friends to make it really fun).

I'm truly excited about a sequel being made, because it gives the developers a chance to straighten out the less good parts of the first to make the second a fantastic game.

The game had style, and I agree, the cut scenes were good. :)

If I were Nintendo, I'd work closely alongside Ubi to make sure that this game gets a lot of attention, and the time it needs to mature. There were some good ideas in this game, it's just they weren't perfectly executed.

Even though I think Red Steel 1 was mediocre I'm really looking forward to RS2. The controls will surely be better (at least on par with 2007 games such as MP3 and MoH: H2), the graphics will probably be improved. Online will add some longevity. And most important of all is that Ubisoft doesn't have to rush it to make the launch date as with the original. This means RS2 could be a bugfree, solid experience.

The game had style, and I agree, the cut scenes were good. :)

If I were Nintendo, I'd work closely alongside Ubi to make sure that this game gets a lot of attention, and the time it needs to mature. There were some good ideas in this game, it's just they weren't perfectly executed.

Even though I think Red Steel 1 was mediocre I'm really looking forward to RS2. The controls will surely be better (at least on par with 2007 games such as MP3 and MoH: H2), the graphics will probably be improved. Online will add some longevity. And most important of all is that Ubisoft doesn't have to rush it to make the launch date as with the original. This means RS2 could be a bugfree, solid experience.

Completely agree. :) Red Steel had so much potential, and though we got a great taste of it, it can be much better. If Nintendo and Ubisoft work together, the sequel could be a blast.

The only fun I got from this game was about 30 mins of multiplayer action. The single player mode was, in a word, Crap. I will agree the idea was there, just the game wasn't to back it up.

The game was obviously rushed for the launch of the Wii. Only 1 difficulty mode is appalling on a FPS, that wasn't even accetable in the N64 era. Once you complete the game there's virtually nothing to come back to unless you've spent an extra £45 to get an extra controller/nunchuk.

Red Steel 2 could be a massive improvement if they make the sword fighting better, copy MP3's controls, make it longer and give you something to come back to once you've finished it. Online multiplayer?

The game was obviously rushed for the launch of the Wii. Only 1 difficulty mode is appalling on a FPS, that wasn't even accetable in the N64 era. Once you complete the game there's virtually nothing to come back to unless you've spent an extra £45 to get an extra controller/nunchuk.

Red Steel 2 could be a massive improvement if they make the sword fighting better, copy MP3's controls, make it longer and give you something to come back to once you've finished it. Online multiplayer?

Agreed on all counts...the premise was really good...a foreigner playing at being japanese but it was sloppy at times...The main problem was it only worked at its best when you went into a room and the enemies were immediatly infront of you if you had to aim anywhere else and the aiming/bounding box struggled to cope with it.

RS was the first game i bought. I knew the game was over-hyped when it released, but it still didn't hold me from purchasing the title. The game was clearly rushed. You had moment where enemies were suddenly floating around the air or the occasional freezing.

The game certainly had potential. I liked the setting, the overall art direction was a breath of fresh air to me. Graphically, it started out mediocre before moving to a few "wow" moments later on in the game. If the can improve on the, I'll be happy. There were also some pretty neat little touches to the game, like throwing or rolling a grenade (that was awesome) and turning your gun.

Contrary to popular believe, i didnt find the controls to suck. I didn't really find it bothersome. Sure, the bounding box was rather large, so turning was slow. The point and shoot mechanic was fine though. Sword fighting could use a bit more variety and some 1:1 movement with your wiimote (if possbble). If you play it the way it was intended to be, it was actually quite fun (block or evade -> counter -> block/evade again).

What I hated about this game was the lack of a true challenge. Some levels were getting quite difficult, but im looking for a real thriller like GoldenEye used to give me. Having a regenerating health bar and countless checkpoints doesnt help to make it challenging. Be persistent and you'll eventually clear the level, whereas other games, you'll have to spend time learning the level, learning how to best tackle the area. It sure would add replay value.

As for multiplayer, I've only played it in 2P. It actually was fairly enjoyable. As far as 2P deathmatch can go. It was hilarious how i was able to make instant 1-hit-kill-headshots from the otherside of the room. Haha.

The lack of variety and options made this look like an afterthought.

Im very excited for a sequel to this game. Because it has so much potential that just wasn't realized due to lack of time. They should have been working on the sequel for quite some time now, so it could really be a great product.

What I'd like to see improved in the sequel:

1) Different control options. Give us tools to tinker with the controls, movement speed, bounding box etc.

2) Iron out the bugs and polish it till it's finally a A or even AAA product, instead of a sub B title.

3) Remove regenerating health bar and a lot less check points.

4) Further explore the sword fighting mechanics. Also, let us use the sword in regular play.

5) No more static cutscenes, make them real-time and actually tell us a story.

6) Give the player more freedom in the levels. The levels in RS were pretty much determined how you walked through them. That's from point A to B. Why not add in some levels that have you explore a bit more.

7) Add in a more diverse multiplayer mode. This time add in the bots! If an expansive online mode is an option, go for it! If MOHH2 can do it, why cant Ubisoft?

That's quite a list actually. It just shows how much potential it had. Before the release of the Wii, every potential Wii owner was supporting and cheering for Ubisoft. After the release, I think about every single one of them has bashed them for their lack of effort and sheer laziness. Hench their new nicknames like Ubiport, Ubicrap etc.

If Ubisoft is really behind the Wii, this is the one game that should win us all over.