NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Shift

Stuttering 8800

It's been a while since ive posted on these forums, but dont hold that against me ;)

I've quite recently bought a new PC:

CPU: C2D 6600

RAM: 4GB

GPU: 8800 GTX

PSU: 750 Watt

HDD: 2x 10k RPM 150GB Raptor Drives

HDD: 2x 7.5k RPM 500GB WD Drives

Ok, now for my problem.

In games that use the unreal engine the game 'stutters' at random intervals, meaning that the game freezes for about 1 second then carries on as normal.

I've read up on the matter and it is to do with the current drivers for the 8800. There are fixes, one is to use rivatuner and enable the Blitting options, another is to edit GAME.ini file in the games directory (you change UseHardwareTL=True to UseHardwareTL=False).

But because I'm on vista x64 rivatuner (an overclocking utility) isnt compatible and changing the value in the GAME.ini file makes all the game textures transparent.

Two weeks ago i thought id fixed it, i installed a file that was meant to give me more options to edit in the 8800 control panel, it didnt, but the stuttering went away for two weeks, but now its come back.

Any help is welcome, i only play a few games on my PC, the game that this problem arises in is Tribes Vengeance (as it uses the Unreal game engine).

By the sounds of things the only thing you can do is hope for the apropriate patch or driver update, but don't hold your breath. Welcome to the wacky world of cross-generational OS and hardware upgrades.

Besides I'm guessing you didn't plump for 4GB of ram and an 8800 just to play Tribes.

Ive just installed some newer beta drivers (101.70), the stuttering has gone, but my mouse is lagging, lol.

I put 4GB of RAM in because i read that thats the sweet spot for a 64bit OS.

2GB propbably would have done the job, but im greedy :]

I'm going to play with some settings, see if i can get rid of the mouse lag.

----

Just an update, i uninstalled all the nvidia drivers then reinstalled them (my mobo drivers and the above mentioned 8800 driver), the mouse doesnt lag and i dont stutter. Hopefuly this has fixed it, but only time will tell.

Sign in to follow this