N-Europe

How can I make my mp3s smaller?

Rummy

I have some mp3s, and I want to make them smaller. They're huge because they have a bitrate of like 320, does anyone know how I can make them smaller by converting them into a lower bitrate? Is there something that will do it efficiently enough, that it won't sound crap? I dunno alot about music files, but I know that files ripped from a cd at 96kbps are good enough for my ears compared to the same files ripped at 320kbps. However, I do not have the CD these were ripped from, so I'm looking for someway to basically get them that small, without re-ripping them.

Anyone point me in the right direction?

Really you don't want to do this as you will lose quality, and the quality will be worse than if you ripped off the cd at the same bitrate.

Also, generally you'll lose the tags.

One way to not lose tags is to use Foobar2000 (my audio player of choice also)

Download lame.exe from rarewares.

Download and install foobar2000

Load the tracks into Foobar.

Shift select them all (select one then select the last one while holding down shift).

Right Click > Convert to...

Choose MP3 lame from the drop down menu.

Press the little button next to it and set your bitrate (I'd go for V6 as a minimum - any lower will be noticeable)

Then click ok, ok, and you'll get a transcode warning and it'll also ask you where lame.exe is.

Then you select your output folder and whizz-bang it does it's thing.

Can't remember if there's anything else.

Good luck. (Foobar2000 is awesome.)

Guest Jordan

I use Goldwave batch processing for this kinda thing, damn fast and can be converted to several thousand combinations of filetype/bit rate.

Wait - you can even use iTunes! Just put them in your library, go to your settings and chose as convertion format MP3 at the bitrate you want. Then just right-click a song and click 'convert selection to mp3'. Easy as hell.