Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Moving a disc drive

Sarka

There is a gap thing on my computer, possibly for inserting another disc drive into it as you can see below:

disc2dc.th.png

I was thinking of trying to put my old computers drive in there as this one seems to be annoying very now and again.

Can any of you techno people help, is there big issues in doing this?

Shouldn't be any issues; most PCs have 2 IDE channels allowing you to connect 4 IDE devices at once -- As long as you've got a free space for one on a cable, you should be okay. Just make sure when you install it, that you look at the back of the drives to find out which is set to master and slave..

If two devices are on the same cable they either both need to be set to cable select (you generally move a little piece of plastic jumper on the back, it should tell you on the drive) or one on master and one on slave.

As long as you then have a molex power connector free too then that's it, plug it all in (when the PC is off of course) and next time you start if it worked you should be able to see it.

Um... ok, I think I understand most of that, and everything should be ok. If my computer is a dell, then should this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SONY-16x-Internal-DVD-ROM-Drive_W0QQitemZ8708713774QQcategoryZ3754QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

driver be compatiable. My brother says that it'd be better just to get a new driver, since our old computer is pretty old.

Guest Offerman

It doesnt matter what drive you get. IDE is a standard. And as long as you follow Roadys instructions you shouldnt come unstuck. The only real determining factor for drive choice is cost and reliability, and of course performance. But thats another topic. But the drive you have shown will do just fine.

Oh ok, thanks. I'm trying out my old computers driver (I really controdict myself, don't I?) I have the driver, and my computers slot, I know which cables hook up to which plugs but god, I can't plug them all in cause my hands are to big. Do I have to tak apart the computer, or do you guys have some tips to attempt to hook it up very fiddily?