NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dante

Nintendo Financials

Nintendo just announced its quarterly sales for the end of 2006.

Here's some info with the release:

Nintendo Co., Ltd. today announced that strong sales of Nintendo DS hardware and software and the successful launch of Wii have led to record consolidated sales and operational profit for the nine-month period ending Dec. 31, 2006. Sales for the nine months were up 72 percent, while net income was up 43 percent. It has a war chest of $7.1 billion in cash. Nintendo maintained projections for record financial results through its fiscal year, which ends March 31, 2007.

Thanks to extremely strong Nintendo DS sales and the successful launch of Wii, Nintendo's consolidated net sales were up 72.8 percent over the same nine-month period last year, and operating income was up 102.5 percent.

Nintendo also announced:

* During the first nine months of the current fiscal year, consolidated worldwide shipments of 19 software titles for Nintendo platforms reached or surpassed 1 million units. These include three Wii titles, 13 Nintendo DS titles and three Game Boy Advance titles.

* Nearly 1.4 million Wii hardware systems have connected to the Internet worldwide (as of 1/24/07)

* Approximately 1.5 million Virtual Console games have been downloaded and sold to customers worldwide (as of 1/24/07)

* More than 3.5 million unique users have enjoyed game play on Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection for Nintendo DS, with far more than 100 million connections (as of 1/24/07)

The company held firm to its previous forecast for consolidated worldwide shipments of 6 million Wii hardware systems by the end of the fiscal year. Nintendo manufactured 4 million Wii systems by the end of 2006 and during that time sold and delivered 3.19 million to its distributors and retail customers around the world.

A+E

They'd probably sell more VC games if they weren't a rip off:indeed:

1.5 million games is actually quite well, considering how low Wii's current userbase is and how small the current selection is. Only retroarses really care for VC, and they represent only small minority of current userbase. I just would like to see how the sales have been split between Sega, Nintendo and Hudson.

They'd probably sell more VC games if they weren't a rip off:indeed:

Or if they had some titles worth buying. Nearly every title on the VC has been on GBA or DS as well as the original console! I REALLY dont feel the need to play through Mario 64 or Donkey Kong Country again!

Bomberman is the only title thats on there that i want at the moment and i cant buy that without spending £15 on Wii Points.

Maestro/Switch/Solo/Paypal support would have been a nice feature too

I'm surprised they've sold so many VC games.

Great year for Nintendo anyhow :D

1.5 million games is actually quite well, considering how low Wii's current userbase is and how small the current selection is. Only retroarses really care for VC, and they represent only small minority of current userbase. I just would like to see how the sales have been split between Sega, Nintendo and Hudson.

I didn't say they were low sales:heh:....I was just saying they'd probably sell more and make more money as the games would be more worth the price. Rather than NES games being £3.50...they should be £2.50-£3 and Turbo should be £3.50-£4, SNES & MD £5, N64 games are fine.

The VC is one of the best features of the console.

I havn't played those games for ages, so it's good for me.

Nintendo to increase Wii production

Booming year-end sales of the wand-wielding Wii game console sent profit at Nintendo soaring 43 percent for the nine months ended December, the Japanese manufacturer of Pokemon and Super Mario games said Thursday.

Nintendo Co., which also makes GameBoy Advance and Nintendo DS handheld machines, recorded group net profit of 131.9 billion yen ($1.1 billion; €850 million) in the first nine months of the fiscal year, up dramatically from 92.2 billion yen the same period a year earlier.

The company did not break down quarterly numbers.

Sales soared 73 percent to 712.6 billion yen ($5.9 billion; €4.5 billion) during the April-December period from 412.3 billion yen the previous year, the Kyoto-based company said in a release.

Nintendo's Wii is embroiled in a head-to-head battle in next-generation home game consoles against sector leader Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3, which has been plagued with production problems.

Wii, inspired by the English word "we," has benefitted from its fun image built around the wandlike remote controller that players wave around like a fishing rod, drumstick, gun or tennis racket depending on the game.

Nintendo said it sold 3.19 million Wii machines worldwide, 1.25 million in the Americas, and 1.14 million in Japan.

The company said it had met its target of 4 million units shipped by the end of 2006 as that many had been manufactured and were still getting distributed, according to spokesman Yasuhiro Minagawa.

He said Nintendo was well on its way to reach its target of global shipment for 6 million Wii machines by March 31, the end of the current fiscal year, and will have manufactured 7 million Wii machines in fiscal 2006.

Earlier this month, Sony said it shipped 2 million PlayStation 3 machines worldwide by mid-January, falling about two weeks behind its initial plan in shipments in Japan. The machine's launch in Europe has been delayed until later this year. Sony is also targeting shipping 6 million PS3 machines by March 31.

Selling machines in high volumes is crucial in the gaming business because hot-selling formats attract software companies to make more games, which in turn boost console sales and often bring in hefty profits for the hardware companies that also make software.

The Wii faced some minor problems early on when the wand flew out of the hands of some enthusiastic players, snapping the wrist strap and sometimes crashing into the TV.

But that hasn't dented the company's profits or stopped the Wii from selling out.

A voluntary exchange for the controller to strengthen the strap announced in December will only cost slightly more than 1 billion yen ($8 million; €6 million), including costs extending beyond the period covered in Thursday's report, Minagawa said.

Nintendo said it was also marking robust sales with its Nintendo DS portable, totaling 18.88 million units sold worldwide in the first three quarters -- the fastest rising game platform ever in the Japan market. The machine is also selling briskly overseas, it said.

In-house game software sales, which are crucial for boosting profitability for game companies, also did well for Nintendo, it said, such as "New Super Mario Bros.," "Brain Age" and "Nintendogs" for DS, and "The Legend Zelda: Twilight Princess," for Wii.

www.cnn.com

I wouldn't say VC sales are good:

* Nearly 1.4 million Wii hardware systems have connected to the Internet worldwide (as of 1/24/07)

* Approximately 1.5 million Virtual Console games have been downloaded and sold to customers worldwide (as of 1/24/07)

This means only 1 game downloaded per user roughly.

Thats rubbish.

Bomberman is the only title thats on there that i want at the moment and i cant buy that without spending £15 on Wii Points.

Can you not just buy like 1000 points off the wii shop channel coz tht would only cost £6.99? Or you not able to do that?

Thats rubbish.

Let's say they make an average of £2.50 on every VC title sold(it's not like they aren't selling these things at a profit) that's still like £4mil of pure profit. Yeah, it isn't a very big number compared to all the other revenues they're pulling in, but I'm sure that that will at least go to something decent, other than the director's pockets. Does anyone happen to know how much it generally tends to cost to produce the average game? I hope all this money they're pulling in is going towards something for the customers, I really hope the wii doesn't flop.

Thats rubbish.

well maybe not everyones interested in old games so thats probably half of the users gone already, for just 2 months and so small a userbase thats massive sales, what is more surprising is that only 1.4 million wiis have connected to the internet probably due to the fact not everyone has wifi but that will probably improve as lan adapters become available and the proportion of net users with wireless increases

Well I havent downloaded any VC games...yet. I hope Nintendo get a move on with the original games because they are behind the competition in this area.

Sign in to follow this