Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The Wii is a mac?

arab_freak

huh?

did anyone understand a word of this? or is it just me?

i understand perfectly

my power book of coarse has a ppc cpu and so does the wii if anyone didn't know.

some websites only work on a pc using ie. its a stupid way to make a website *insert smily of me destroying a PC here*

No, not 'macs graphics > Wii', solitanze. A computer is not only a CPU. The Wii is capable of processing these graphics, but because games require much more calculations than an OS or a program like Word - don't forget ht needs to process polygons, new objects and computer-operated objects - the output resolution is still lower than that one of a Mac itself. Don't confuse this.

A Mac can output 1024x768 and higher (up to 1240x1080 or 'HD', a fancy term for something computers had a long time ago), because of it's on-board RAM and it's not-so-heavy rendering system (there's no need to render polygons and such). Also, G3 processor were used two generations (two years in Apple's generation, total of four) ago and are now updated to be able to output more. This CPU of the Wii needs to do more and calculate more, so a lower output resolution is the only possibility. The Wii could output HD, but at a framerate of what? 5 frames per second? 2? So, the Wii outputs 720x480 (interlaced or progressive) on a higher, playable framerate.

Try to make the equation and you'll see. Macs from long ago didn't support games that were at 1024x768 resolution. Test your own Windows computer, most games are toned-down to the resolution of 800x600, a little like our tv's 765x480.

Actually, while I agreed with the people who were saying it was because the Wii and old Apples both used PowerPC 750s, it's actually not, as the Opera browser on Wii doesn't tell web sites what CPU it is running on.

Here's what I mean, this is the User-Agent that Firefox 2.0.1 gives to websites on my Intel-Based Macbook:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X; en-US; rv:1.8.1.1) Gecko/20061204 Firefox/2.0.0.1.

And here's what the Wii browser's User-Agent is:

Opera/9.00(Nintendo Wii; U; 1309-9; en)

As you can see, the Wii browser doesn't say anything about it's processor, while on OS X it does.

I can't believe I was the only person who thought to post these results, here you can see for yourself: http://www.ccp4.ac.uk/djr/browser.php