NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Bullet Babba

Oh GOD (cd-rw problem)

I keep having this same problem with cd-rw disks that i buy. I burn some songs or other data onto them (not even close to using up all the space) and then next time i try to either add files to the disk, or remove previously burned files i'm told the cd is not blank or cannot be written over. So basically i've just paid more for cd-rw disks because i prefer to be able to alter what i save onto them but they are doing the same job as cd-rs and i'm just stuck with what i put on there. I've just burned 4 songs onto this new Philip's cd-rw i got today and it's not letting me do anything else. So i'm stuck with a brand new cd-rw disk with 4 songs on it forevermore.

BUT, to further complicate things... sometimes it does let me re-write over files and sometimes it doesn't. It can't be the disks themselves because i've had the same problem with both Asda ones and Philips.

Can anyone help?

I don't think Windows allows you to add more to a cd-rw, only to erase the current content and reburn, that could be wrong but I've always had to do that. Also full erase is always more reliable (though much slower) than quick erase.

This might be obvious but if you use any software like Nero, make sure you do not finalise the CD because that will prevent re-burning.

Yes, i have been doing it through Windows - not Nero. But it won't let me do a full erase EITHER. So i can't even start again.

Wait, no... i take that back. It's just let me do a full erase. Phew. But still, that's pretty crappy that Windows doesn't let you just add stuff.

I don't think anything lets you just add stuff does it? I definitely can't add stuff on my Mac...

I don't think anything lets you just add stuff does it? I definitely can't add stuff on my Mac...

Nero would give you the option to create a multisession disk. Which allows file to be added later. You set it when it asks for the write speed etc.

Windows's built in burner mostly sucks. I think I have never got it working, even though nero(express) would work fine.

And some LG burners have firmware incompatible with win xp SP2. But there's a tool to upgrade the firmware available somewhere.

Sign in to follow this