N-Europe

I need your help!!

christophicus

OK so heres the deal. I just bought a pc(without HDD) Of a guy in my town.

The thing is ,it wont start up. The guy I baught it off said it wouldnt start up when here tried but said it was something to do with the power button not being wired up right.

I now know that the power butten does indeed funtion correctly as i used it to start up my old (crap ) pc. the new pc's specs are as follows

AMD athlon 64 3200

512MB ram

OLD 40 gig samsung HDD from my old rig.

Radeon 9600xt

epox 8kda

(supposedly) 400 watt psu.

When i attempy the turn it on , absolutely nothing happens<not even the fans spin up, even in the psu.

However. i was pullint out the mobo power leads while the psu was still on (obvoiously i didnt realise it was still on) Once i had taken out the 4 pin connecter, and was in the process of taking out the 20 pin power connector the trouble shooting LEDS turned on for a second or two.What do you guys recon?

Does anyone have any ideas?

I think it may either be that the POwer supply is not strong enough.Or that the MOBO is fried.

no € 110, but i really wanted this to work :(

Any suggestions on anything i can do to get this going again?

There are no visible burn marks or anything on the mobo.

Ok i jsut noticed that there is a capacitor down near the mobo chipsetthat gets really hot, when i turn on the psu, even though the PSU fans doenst turn on. Do you think if I connect the two capacitor pins then the pc might turn on??Or will somehting blow?

mobocirclehx7.jpg

sorry about the crap quiality.

You need to have that 4pin plug plugged in too. In the picture there's nothing there... And you need to plug the power buttons wires to the mobo as well, or did you just remove them to get the picture? The wire is one of those colored ones in the bottom right. Can't remember the color though. Consult the mobo's manual on where to plug it.

And do not short the capacitor, that would most probably fry something. And a blown up capacitor smells really bad.

Cheers man. yeah i had those wires plugged in (except the The USB and firewire ones for the case. I assume they dont have to be pluggeed in)

Ok i wont short the capacitor then, Im going to try and get a replacement though.

Does it seam odd to you that it is only one capacitor and the surrounding area thats geting hot,when the rest of the board is staying as though the PSU isnt even plugged in?

Capacitors shouldn't really get hot even when they're connected to a live circuit. The capacitor might have actually shorted itself. If the mobo is still under warranty, I'd suggest you get it replaced.

I had some problems with new mobos not booting because they now use 24pin connectors, not the old 20pin one. But I found that just plugging the 4pin connector to it's place and leaving the additional 4pins on the 24pin connector not connected works.

The most extreme solution would be to remove the capacitor and solder a new capacitor to the mobo. But you'd need to be sure that the capacitor is exactly like the old one: capacitance, voltage, tolerance etc. Or it could start doing some odd stuff.

YEAh im going to try and change the capacitor, cas within tn seconds of switching the power supply on it is noticibly hot.I dont want to risk leaving it on for too long , incase it blows.

If i just get teh voltage and farad rating off of it should that be ok if I get another capacitor with the same voltage and farad rating?

I think that there's also the tolerance. But yeah, that should do the trick. And there might something else that has gotten fried on the mobo as well. You'll be forfeiting any warranty that the board might have though and there's always the risk of damaging the mobo even more. But if you're confident that you can do it, then go for it.

But don't blame me if something goes wrong ;)

Apparently the tolerance isn't marked on electrolytic capacitors... That might be mentioned in the package that they're kept. It's just the percentage of how much the actual farad count can differ from the said farad count. E.g a 100µF capacitor with 10% tolerance can be anything from 90µF to 110µF. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.