N-Europe

USB Wi-Fi enhancer

Yoshiking

Alright, so here's the thing. My room is on one side of the house, and the router and whatnot on the other. And my house is rather large, so the signal doesn't reach my room (ironically, I can some times get it just by stepping out of my door). :horse:

Anyway, I've heard you can get a USB thing (or something of the sort) that takes the wi-fi signal and sends it further, or something. I know I could get a USB dongle of some kind (and I will if I can't do this), but the speed on my computer is for some reason far below that of the router (probably seing as the cord to it goes in the rotty basement all the way from the other side of the house).

Anyway, anyone have experience with these things? Recommendations on what to get, what might work with the Wii/DS, etc? Help greatly appreciated.

Also, I'd like something affordable.

Oh, and I've been thinking of getting something like this for a long time, but seing as I can just play DS by the router it hasn't been a problem (as that's all I use it for). And now that I need internets for my Wii (clearly, as that's the only way to get important firmware updates), I really need wireless in my room.

USB dongles usually have pretty poor ranges. I'd recommend trying a PCI- card that has it's own antenna. And with an antenna remember that if the router's antenna is vertical your pc's wlan adaptor's antenna should also be. I don't think that the pci cards are really expensive. 30-40€ here on average (280-330 NOK)

Boosting the signal with different kinds of antennae is an art of itself. How would that work on an USB stick I don't know. Reminds me of this http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/user/view/wlg/448 probably illegal, but what isn't nowadays ;) But I do recommend the PCI card as you can, in most cases, switch the antenna if you need one with higher gain.

I think the USB stick is just an antenna in itself, and it just feeds power off the computer. I don't know if there's a reason for it being a USB stick other than that it's.. Well, not really convenient either. Lol.

Anyway, what's the range of a USB dongle? I only need, like.. 5-6 metres. Tops. Probably less. And what's the price of that compared to a pci card?