NEurope
Guest Ray Falling

Third party support and such, will Nintendo take it?

For Nintendo to be ontop again they will have to try and change the attitude of the gamers themselves and 3rd party support has to be something different. You just have to look at the charts to see that many a generic game seem to outsell, week in and week out , many well developed titles. Which is why im a little worried about the Revolution.

Heres what a mean. The PSP launches in this country with very few killer games at launch or on the horizon and yet the thing still manages to break records on release. Now in Japan they have seemed to wise-up to the PSP and you can see this due to the DS sales in comparison. The Japanese are always crazy for the new style of gameplay I mean you just gotta look at the arcades over there and what people are willing to do in front of each other while playing games so I believe that the Revolution will do well over there. But over here gamers are stuck to there year updates of Fifas and such.

For nintendo to do well they will have to somehow open up the minds of these gamers that are set in their ways. I have mates that wouldnt play on Donkey Konga because they thought the whole bongo concept is stupid and a joke. Its people like this that wont want to make a fool of themselves or embrace change that Nintendo need to turn.

I know that the 3rd-party support is pretty essential as everyone likes to have a selection but if the multi-format game is no different to say the ps3 or xbox 360 version then its not going to go down well. Sure im not asking for developers to just whack in some feature that uses the controller what im asking is that they take the time to realize the possibilites and to fully explore and use them in the games they create. I mean they all say that its a great controller and they really excited but how many will fully utilize the thing?

In my eyes Nintendo need to breakthrough the barrier of the "common" gamer and the 3rd parties need to put their money where their mouth is and develop the killer games that Nintendo so well deserve.

END OF RANT

will [Nintendo] also allow developers to make more "mature" and "violent" games, such as the games on PC, Xbox and Playstation?

Of course they will. Do you think Nintendo regularly say "No, your game is too violent for our sweet little console. You are hereby banned from releasing it"?

The GC version of BMX XXX was the least censored of the three and as someone pointed out, the Gamecube has Resident Evil 4, Killer 7.

The reason for there being few mature games on Nintendo consoles is not directly because of Nintendo - it is because most third parties see a bigger audience for mature games on the PS2 and XBOX.

Schpickles is right about Nintendo making it hard for small developers who need to make profit to survive developing a game for a Nintendo console. I would exclude the GBA/DS because those have a quite big user base nowadays. To be honest if I would start a small company I would either start making PS2 games only or XBOX only. If I would be successfull I could start porting games for the Cube too but until I am Capcom, Namco or any other developers with strong franchises that can minimize the risk of losing everything I could never only develop for the Gamecube.

Nintendos philosophy should change a bit - the Yamauchi fund to help small developers is great and so is the fact that they claim the Revolution will help to keep development costs low but there is more to be down. I am not saying Nintendo should publish every game but it should become a lot easier and comfortable to develop for a Nintendo system.

I personally would like that developing for the Revolution is open to more people - I don't want to play backups or anything illegal on the Revolution because that would hurt Nintendo and the customers. But why not let my run my "Hello World" from a memory card? Does software development always has to be closed for "big" companies? I don't expect Nintendo giving out dev kits to everyone but some sort of downgraded software and the possibility to run it would be sufficient.

With the WiFi out of the box it could be quite interesting to let talented coders make small games for online play - limit the memory (to fight against illegal backups and stuff) and of course check those who really want to release something to all in case of trojans, malicious code, etc. A online plattform for independent developers might be a great idea.