NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Cookyman

WiFi Max - any good?

Ok first let me apoligise for my thread on £7.99 Bluetooth dongle - I got mixed up The Wii's controller is bluetooth. But the Wii itself is WiFi.

Ahem - anyway I spotted this on amazon for £17.99

B000CSBFSQ.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V58490915_.jpg

Manufacturer's Description

Connect your DS to the Internet easily and wirelessly and a whole world of online gaming on your Nintendo DS is opened. Plug your USB WiFi dongle into your internet-enabled PC to create a Wireless Access Point and you can then connect to the internet and play online-enabled multiplayer games with DS gamers from all over the world.

As WiFi MAX operates on the Wireless G standard, it's five times faster than an ordinary WiFi connection, and if you use our USB cable and dongle stand (supplied), you can position your dongle to maximise WiFi range. If you have other WiFi-enabled devices capable of using the internet, such as laptops or PDAs, you can take them online with WiFi MAX too. It's the ultimate device for internet surfing without a WiFi router.

It's on amazon - Here

Hmmmmm now its a good deal cheaper than an official dongle but is it any good? what are the range on these things - could I have my Wii in another room in the house or am I better just going wireless?

(I reckon I probably should just get a wireless router but hey no harm in asking you guys first!)

...WifiMax for Nintendo DS.

Yeah I noticed that Dante but as this was released in Dec 2005 and the Wii wasn't about then thats who it was marketed at - DS users!

It does the same job as the Nintendo Dongle so I dont think hooking up to The Wii would be a problem - its also works with the PSP but I wont hold that against it! lol

I just thought it might be of interest to you guys and wandered if any of you had it as its almost half the price of the offiicial dongle.

I would be very surprised if it didn't work, but if I were you, I would just save up a bit more and get a router, so your PC doesn't have to be on to play it online.

I would be very surprised if it didn't work, but if I were you, I would just save up a bit more and get a router, so your PC doesn't have to be on to play it online.

Ok thought as much myself but like to keep my options open! :grin:

If this works with the PSP, would it work as a wireless router.. well, to conenct a laptop to, or something similar?

If this works with the PSP, would it work as a wireless router.. well, to conenct a laptop to, or something similar?

I'm assuming so:

This is a customer review from Amazon:

this product is amazing!!!!! unlike the NINTENDO one you can also connect other wireless enabled devices and it can also be used as a cheap way to have a wireless network in the house. the device can be used as a normal wireless device connecting to a wireless router or it can be used as a access point broadcasting the internet from one pc then allowing your DS being connected to this access point. The software is easy enough to use and simple, with Wireless devices its always best to get the updated drivers so you dont have any problems.... i would highly recommend this even if you only want to use it as a wireless USB dongle for a existing network, you cant complain.!

Hmmm interesting!

Sign in to follow this