N-Europe

ATI Mobility FireGL V5200 to X1600

Konfucius

I get an awesome IBM Thinkpad T60p for Uni for a very good deal and I'm really happy with all the specs except for one thing.

The graphics card: two issues, first it's ATI and second it's a FireGL that is optimized for CAD.

Now I read that it's more or less a X1600 when modded drivers are installed.

My question now: Do any of you have any experience with this kind of thing?

I get an awesome IBM Thinkpad T60p for Uni for a very good deal and I'm really happy with all the specs except for one thing.

The graphics card: two issues, first it's ATI and second it's a FireGL that is optimized for CAD.

Now I read that it's more or less a X1600 when modded drivers are installed.

My question now: Do any of you have any experience with this kind of thing?

My father works with autocad and has a ATi x700 portable @ FireGL V5000 (softmodded), So yes it's worth it... IF you use CAD...

Now... I've never heard of the mod's working on x1600 cards or any x1xx0 series for that matter since, I believe ATi now makes the cores diferent for her FireGL V7xx0 series (instead of disabling stuff on Radeon's).

Still, as far as I understood you said it came with that from factory... So it'll be better for Maya, 3D Studio Max, AutoCAD, etc... Not a powerhouse though, it's still a laptop.

But you won't get any advantage on videogames though, you should even get less frames than a equal graphics card core without the "pro" abilities. not by much though.

Could you elaborate on specs though? it's a FireGL 5x00? (what model) how much RAM, is it shared/Turbocache/Hypermemory?

Could you elaborate on specs though? it's a FireGL 5x00? (what model) how much RAM, is it shared/Turbocache/Hypermemory?

Thanks for the fast reply.

It's a FireGL V5200 256MB RAM GDDR3 (that's all the specs I've got)

Notebookcheck says that it should have the same performance as a X1600 with modded drivers.

Thanks for the fast reply.

It's a FireGL V5200 256MB RAM GDDR3 (that's all the specs I've got)

Notebookcheck says that it should have the same performance as a X1600 with modded drivers.

I see, they must be right then.

It's a good machine :) And even better if you work with software that takes advantage of that.

Notice the benchmark area of that page though, although it has the same specs as x1600 (clocks and pipelines) yet it scores lower in 3Dmark 2006. These cards shouldn't be benchmarked in 3Dmark or games but professional software, that's where they shine.

It's not a gamer portable, more like a entry-workstation portable (and given both as chance I know what I'd choose) :D