N-Europe

CPU overheating

Ramar

Ok gents, my new pc when I switch it on, warns me the CPU is over heating, it works for a while before shutting down. I even managed to format the hard drive and was just about to install windows before it shut down. The heat sink is correctly fitted and working, the PSU fan is working, the gfx card fan is working, I have a fan on my case that is working. I can't for the life of me think why its over heating. Could it be the BIOS? Any ideas things, to try would be great.

Guest Jordan

too much paste is a bad thing, and AMD don't even cover the warrenty if you use any. Most headsinks come with a small square of the stuff mounted on the heatsink itself, didn't yours?

Having played around with the pc today, I've managed to install windows on it. I've also found out that there is BIOS updates for each processor, under the Pentium D 945 (which I have) it says the update changes the CPU temperature algorithm. This may mean my current BIOS thinks its overheating when really it's not. Hopefully I can sort that all out tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

OK chums. Needs your help, firstly I apologise for bumping an old(ish) topic but my problems aren't solved.

I updated the BIOS, and bought some Silver Thermal Compound and applied it to the Heatsink, it is still over heating, I mean 80-110 degrees Celsius over heating. I'm thinking of getting a new heatsink, but maybe I thought I could underclock the processor, any ideas. Its a Pentium D 3.40GHZ.