N-Europe

The N-Europe Show - Hot Topic #6

Mokong

We did it, after a few technical hic-ups and many hours (finishing around 2am) we got NES #5 all wrapped up in a nice little 61mins package, making it our shorest podcast yet but still as good as ever. (Plus we heard some of you wanted a slightly shorter show, see "wii" do listen to ye)

Anyway NES #5 can be found HERE, just right-click and save as.

Now onto our new hot topic - Are You A Fanboy?

In NES #5 we gave our thoughts on how much of a fanboy we were in our younger years, what we think of the term today, what is it when something goes wrong for Nintendos competitors makes us jump for joy? Is it right to indulge the little fanboy in us all?

Your thoughts?

Even though I used to be the ultimate Nintendo fanboy, I've gradually realised that that's a bad approach, and tried to avoid it. This is partly because people don't make fun of you, and partly because if you're more open-minded to all games, then you can come across absolute gems that aren't on your chosen console. For instance, once I would have felt guilty playing Final Fantasy, but now I embrace it, as I embrace all games I enjoy, whether they are made by Nintendo or not.

I suppose a few scraps of fanboyism remain- I tend to side with Nintendo in disputes such as whether the wii controller is a good idea, and I sometimes feel like smashing Sony fanboys in the face. Maybe that's a good thing in some ways... :heh:

Nevertheless, I ultimately think that fanboyism is bad, if only because being a fanboy blinds you from playing games that you might enjoy. After all, that's why you should play games- because you enjoy the game, not because you are a fan of the company.

• 3 weeks later...

I love everything Nintendo. I guess it comes from the fact that all i ever played as a kid was a nintendo console. So having a nintendo upbringing had a big effect on how i thought as a gamer.

However my fanboyism didn't really come out until the current generation of console gaming, where gaming itself had become pretty stagnant with the continual sequels of WW2 FPS, Driving, and Sporting titles. I started to hate console gaming *cough...EA....cough*.

I was starved of innovation in gaming, and when Nintendo announced the DS and later the Wii (I now randomly say Wiiiiiiiii!!!! at the office in Homer Simpsons' voice), it seemed that gaming was (and is now) getting an injection of freshness.

I think subjecting the term 'Fanboyism' to just a gaming fan is quite narrow-minded by a lot of people. I think we have reached a stage in civilisation where we can call anyone a fanboy/girl based on their favorite sporting team, yet calling anyone a fanboy instantly refers to them being a gamer. Now i would like to see the word 'Fanboy' start to be used outside the realm of gaming. But that's an aside back on topic...

I think of the gaming industry as a bit of a soap opera. There is gossip (in the form of rumors), and twists (as in new announcements such as the delay of PS3 till march...."laugh @ you SONY!!!")... and of course our favorite characters (in the form of the big 3). It fun to watch all the companies duke it out for our hard-earned cash, and it fun to interact as the fans duke it out on the sidelines.

So i say fanboyism is fun, if you don't take it seriously, i mean hey it beats watching paint dry waiting for the real 'next generation' of gaming begins(thats another 5 months worth of watching for you SONY Boys!!...muahahahahaha!!!!)... ahem...excuse me.