N-Europe

PC Restarts On Windows Login page!

triforce_keeper

Guest Jordan

Can you actually click your user before it resets? Or does it do it as you get on to the screen?

Hmm... i have some ideas, nothing too complex. If you know how, go into Safe mode and try doing a system restore or something. If you don't know how, just ask and i'll help :)

Guest Jordan

Hmmm... Okay

Safe mode =

Just before the Windows XP shows the splash scren (the XP logo) hit F6 and this'll bring up some options. From here, you'll wanna do two things.

First, test to see if Windows is working in safe mode, by selecting "Safe Mode" or "Safe Mode With Networking". If Windows now boots and you can get into Windows then you know its probably something running as you boot Windows normally.

So, if this is the case then you'll need to reset, do the same thing again and get into those options but this time select "Use the previous configuration that worked (or something along those lines)." and simply do a system restore back a few days to a day you know when your computer worked.

If it still crashes, you'll need to format and reinstall Windows.

Guest Jordan

No no, its probably better if you hammer the key :P

EDIT: I'm losing my mind, its F8. I'm thinking Windows 2003 Server...

Restore it further back then. Go back 2 weeks, you won't lose any saved work. If that doesn't work I suggest repairing windows with your xp boot disk, which reinstalls a fresh windows but also keeps your files. (as long as you make sure you get the right options, otherwise it'll format your partition).

Boot to your XP CD, then follow the on screen prompts. You don't want the repair console, you want to repair windows XP. Do this then let us know what happens as I think I have some other ideas you could try also.

Booted it and it sais press enter to cancel or press r to repair windows instalation. So I pressed r but then it asked me what windows xp thing to type in and I didn't undertsand so I canceled but at the top it was in about system rcovery and I don't want that.

Please help :(

Ive put the cd in but nothing is happening when I turn the pc on it just keeps doing the same thign as before.

need to change your pc so it boots the cd first

turn on your pc, hit del or f2 right at the start to get to your bios. find the boot order and change it so that your cd drive is first (usually D:)

now save settings and quit with the win xp disk in.

remember as oli said, you dont want the repair console.

This is what I found while googling not sure if it's much use though:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310396

That article may be a step in the right direction in that, it is likely that the problem outlined there is the problem that needs to be addressed, however, they are saying to use the recovery console, which in the past I have found to be too complicated and fairly problematic in itself. It doesn't do anything that a full windows repair can't do, although if it works, it is obviously quicker!

However, feel free to give it a go, you might get on ok with it.

Booted it and it sais press enter to cancel or press r to repair windows instalation. So I pressed r but then it asked me what windows xp thing to type in and I didn't undertsand so I canceled but at the top it was in about system rcovery and I don't want that.

Please help :(

Sounds to me like you are in the recovery console. You should press enter at that point and then it should show a list of hard drives/partions etc that are on your machine. At that point I think you can choose to repair the windows installation.

Yeah you press enter to set up windows, not r for recovery console. It then finds your current win xp installation and shows you it, then while it's highlighted you press R. That does a fresh install of all the important windows files without formatting.

Dammit!!!!!!

I am in the setup of windows xp and it is in the process of installing devices. It asks me if I want to install my network card I go to click yes but my mouse and keyboard just cuts off! I try and connect it to a differant usb port but it doesan't work.

I'm sick of this now and I havent got anither mouse to connect what shall I do? :(