NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Jay

Wii Sports - New Ideas and Implications

First of all, I know there's an existing Wii Sports thread but its more based on what was announced at E3 and its buried several pages back. Furthermore I think due to the nature of this topic it would work better as a seperate thread.

Onto the purpose of the topic, I was reading an article on IGN - http://wii.ign.com/articles/717/717268p1.html - and it got me thinking of other ideas for the franchise and its implications, in terms of what happens to the future of Nintendo's existing Sports franchises and how it will effect other sports titles coming to the system.

I think that Sports titles in general appeal to the core gamers of teenagers/young adults. They want a proper, in depth game about their favourite Sport - However whilst those kind of gamers will still enjoy Wii Sports it also appeals to the new kind of audience Nintendo are going for. I think it will sell well but at the same time I don't think it will effect other sports titles on the Wii, some ideas may cross over but the games will have much more depth.

Personally I would never buy a stand-alone basebball game, or a golf game come to that because I have no interest in simulations of the sports. However I find the idea of Wii Sports versions hugely appealing. At the same time whilst I will enjoy Wii Tennis it won't stop me buying a version of Virtua Tennis or Mario Tennis if either version show up on the system.

What do you think? Would you buy Wii Sports and Spin-offs and nothing else or would you still buy individual sports titles so long as they were good?

The other point of my topic is basically this, what other ideas do you think would work well in Wii Sports?

This image popped up a few days ago online -

http://images6.theimagehosting.com/324AM190606_power_addlow.jpg

It was suggested as an idea for a Fight Night/Punchout update but I think that if the analogue stick were removed it could work perfectly as a Wii Sports title. Its simple and intuitive and would allow for the computer to control movement, punches would be controlled entirely with the Wii-Mote. It fits in perfectly with the idea of Wii Sports and much like the other titles suggested for it, it'd be good ground work for future Boxing Games.

Another idea as well, Wii Shootout. Using the same wrist straps and controllers (They could be packed in) you strap the controls to each leg. You then shoot in a penalty shoot-out, again fairly simple gameplay and I think it'd work well as a Wii Sports title.

Obviously in both cases the straps would have to be extremely secure.

I also thought other less traditional sports such as Wii Javelin and Wii Archery could be added, again they'd all fit well into the concept of Wii Sports.

I'd be interested to hear what ideas everyone else has as to how the Wii Sports series may develop? :)

There are several branches of Wii Sports, there is the classic sports like golf, baseball and tennis, and there is also Wii Motor Sports. This includes Airplane, Jetski and something else. I'd like to see Wii Attack (or something along those lines) where you use two controllers in either hand and perhaps two strapped to your legs, to do Karate, boxing, archery, and other fighting sports.

I just hope Nintendo don't release Wii Sports and then decide that due to its great sales (and boy will they be great) that they don't need to make an accurate simulation of sports (like Mario Tennis and Mario Baseball).

I really hope we don't end up going from Mario golf and such to Wii sports:Golf as standard, because I for one would love a realistic simulation of golf/tennis/Baseball to get into (for example, in Wii Baseball you only control the batter and you get 3 hits...What I would prefer to see would be an accurate simulation of real baseball, just like what other baseball games

are like).

The thing is, a full on Tennis game for example with the Wii-Mote for the racket and the Nunchuk to move the character around could work fine. However, whilst I know that myself and my friends would have no difficulty with it I do know that my girlfriend and my family would find it incredibly confusing. I think Wii Sports is fantastic as a game for everyone to enjoy, the hardcore crowd will still need proper versions of the games to keep them happy (Ideally with Wii Sports ideas thrown in though) - I don't mind too much if Nintendo only make Wii Sports Tennis (Instead of that and Mario Tennis) as long as Sega bring us a proper version of Virtua Tennis. There's no reason though why they can't both be done due to the all-round simplicity of Wii Tennis (And any other Wii Sports game to come that)

I just hope Nintendo don't release Wii Sports and then decide that due to its great sales (and boy will they be great) that they don't need to make an accurate simulation of sports (like Mario Tennis and Mario Baseball).

I wouldn't really classs Mario Sports titles as an accurate simulation of sports. Pro Evo is an accurate simulation of sports, no funny powerups or anything akin Mario Tennis/Football/whatever.

I'd get Wii sports, and well that Pangya golf is also coming out, so i'll probably get that.

Wii sports are great for everyone we all know, it doesnt top other companies, nintendo, making more advanced games for those other 'hardcore' gamers.

Some gamers will see the simplicity of Wii sports, then possibly think: 'wow this is really easy to play, so intuituve'.

Then Pangya o another type of game; virua tennis etc will come out. These who had thought that earlier, will think: 'this simplicity is good, i might try one step further by getting that game'

So from a simple swing and hit game, like the tennis, these people will go ino the more adanced, if you say so, game like moving around with techniques and such.

but Wii sports...

It's be great if they made a Wii flight package, or instead of that Wii Transport. With the Plane one, a helicopter one (the controller acts a joystick), a train simlutor?, motorbike, etc.

Theyve got Wii sports, with the sports in it.

Maybe Wii Party Games. They include games form Mario party and some more.

just to name but a few

Sign in to follow this