Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Reshare an already shared internet connection?

Charlie

OK, my brother's wanting to buy a DS so he can play MK online at his Uni. The trouble is, he doesn't want to have to buy a wireless router just for this.His internet connection comes in through a PCMCIA ethernet adaptor to his laptop. Would he be able to share this connection of a USB wireless adaptor (probably the official Nintendo one). He doesn't want to buy it to find out he can't do it online...

Thanks!

Guest Offerman
OK, my brother's wanting to buy a DS so he can play MK online at his Uni. The trouble is, he doesn't want to have to buy a wireless router just for this.His internet connection comes in through a PCMCIA ethernet adaptor to his laptop. Would he be able to share this connection of a USB wireless adaptor (probably the official Nintendo one). He doesn't want to buy it to find out he can't do it online...

Thanks!

Yes it can be done. However if you get an IP conflict which Windows will alert you too then don't even try to continue because its near impossible to resolve. It took me a long time to fix it, and I canne remember how.

Anywho, all you SHOULD have to do is head to ure brothers computer and to the Network Wizard, and treat that computer like its the gateway. Say you want other computers to connect to the internet through that computer - and indicate to Windows when it asks what is the LAN connection that your brother connects to the internet through - in hes case hes USB wifi connection. Then tell it where it needs to go.

You might be able to bridge the connection using a USB adapter, but don't call my word on it.

To be frank, the best idea is to just buy a cheap ass wireless ACCESS POINT, oh jesus not a router... and connect it to the Ethernet cable that already comes into his room, and then the DS can play on.

If the access point doesn't have a built in switch, well, just buy a cheap switch.

You can do this with a router but it's a pain in the ass sometimes.