N-Europe

Favourite Fine Artists

Jamba

OK I'm sure that there are lots of people who study creative and arty subjects a plenty around here. Wanted to kick off a thread about artists to exchange ideas and discover new interesting sources. Maybe some pics too. Please stick to visual art and try and keep it Fine Arty as opposed to graphics design and so forth.

Been studying a lot of Gaudi at the moment and this man totally has my number. He has completely changed the way I look at architecture as he was unforgiving about his work, if a little crazy.

He was one of the few people to really explore organic forms in his work, reducing the prominance of the structural and more functional forms in the buildings. This gave him great freedom, especially as his style comes from Art Nouveau which doesn't take well to straight lines and sharp corners. Many buildings display ridges along rooftops that look like spines and sets of chimneys come together into foot-like formations. He also had an incredible attention to detail, creating both the interior and exterior. Apparently he followed an old Moorish tradition of decorating all of the surfaces in a space. He often did this using his signature smashed mosaic style.

Here's his Wiki link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_Gaudi

OK I'm sure that there are lots of people who study creative and arty subjects a plenty around here. Wanted to kick off a thread about artists to exchange ideas and discover new interesting sources. Maybe some pics too. Please stick to visual art and try and keep it Fine Arty as opposed to graphics design and so forth.

Been studying a lot of Gaudi at the moment and this man totally has my number. He has completely changed the way I look at architecture as he was unforgiving about his work, if a little crazy.

He was one of the few people to really explore organic forms in his work, reducing the prominance of the structural and more functional forms in the buildings. This gave him great freedom, especially as his style comes from Art Nouveau which doesn't take well to straight lines and sharp corners. Many buildings display ridges along rooftops that look like spines and sets of chimneys come together into foot-like formations. He also had an incredible attention to detail, creating both the interior and exterior. Apparently he followed an old Moorish tradition of decorating all of the surfaces in a space. He often did this using his signature smashed mosaic style.

Here's his Wiki link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_Gaudi

Ok, i'm no real fan of fine art and am not taking a degree in art, but recently been to the gaudi exhibit in Barcelona, seen the prominent building on the Rambles. He has a very distinct style and i get the impression from his work, he doesn't like straight lines...

Have you visited it yet?