NEurope
darkjak

My idea of the third secret- Eternal console

Come on this won't happen surely. Nintendo wan't to sell wii to a new audience and it won't happen if they need to spend more money times a times to be able to play new games and please that is the main thing why I prefer a console to a pc.

I'm not talking about it being like on the PC. On the PC you have to pick one of 545845845 different new graphiccards, 54164651321 new processors and 254654132132 different RAM packs. I'm talking about one expansion with both RAM and Processor every 2-3 years, for two generations. Instead of buying 2-3 consoles, you'll buy one that plays everything. Was it a that big bother to install the expansionpack?

Nintendo is marketing this new console as a simple, intuitive, user-friendly machine. It would be a shot on the foot, really. Yes, they have done it in the past, and yes, it is an interesting theory. But keep in mind that it would be highly unfeasable to create ports that would handle such high bandwiths. Furthermore, it would rise the production costs. And if you think about the marketing, well, that simply rules out that chance. Imagine advertising such upgrades to people that has never played games in their lives, and people that isn't used to the PC world. It would scare them off. This isn't about power anymore, like in the N64 days, it's about simplicity.

Please read my first post one more time. I'm talking a pack with RAM AND Processor. And I'm not talking about an external port where you put in the ram. I'm talking about SWITCHING the ram alltogether. Y'know, like when you remove the old RAM from you old computer and slot in a new one, only ten times easier!
So why would they release the console like this, only to replace all vital inner hardware later on? How on earth are they going to be able to ask a reasonable price for that? How can an external package be user friendly? How can an external package provide enough bandwidth for the entire CPU-RAM-FSB system, which needs to handle several gigabytes per second?

No offence, but this idea is never going to work.

I'm not talking about it being like on the PC. On the PC you have to pick one of 545845845 different new graphiccards, 54164651321 new processors and 254654132132 different RAM packs. I'm talking about one expansion with both RAM and Processor every 2-3 years, for two generations. Instead of buying 2-3 consoles, you'll buy one that plays everything. Was it a that big bother to install the expansionpack?

Well actually, you're going abit over board there...

so you'd be pulling out and replacing the RAM and Processor every few years? meanwhile the graphics processor and the rest of the architecture stay the same? and this is supposed to help it compete?

if ive misunderstood here then i appologise, but this idea sounds pretty dumb. the problem with this is that the new hardware would have to be compatable with the old hardware/software (very difficult for the processor). the new hardware would also be costly and couldnt be used to its full potential because the bits that connect each part of the console would be out of date and too slow to cope with the increase in data transfer

even if they did work around the problems, an expansion would generate a lot LESS profit for nintendo and it would be taking it closer to the PC market that any of its competitors (a direction which Nintendo have made clear that they DO NOT want to go near)

oh sorry about this, but i just been thinking..all the "3rd secret" stuff, what were the 1st two (i was offline for a few months last year and never picked this up), i'm guessin one of them was the controller, so what was the other?

1st secret: Virtual Console - Revealed at E3 2005

2nd secret: Controller and Nunchuck - Revealed at TGS 2005